Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the painless wiring harness, new autometer gauges, and a 20 gal poly tank. My fuel gauge is the only thing that doesn't work. I ordered the gauge to that went with the fuel sending unit so unless they sent the wrong one... The only thing I didn't do was ground the gauge itself to the tank as per the autometer directions. I just grounded it the tub. Is this where I screwed up? If so do I ground to one of the screws that holds down the sending unit? How else would you ground to a poly tank?

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You mention that you grounded the gauge but did you ground the sending unit also? That sending unit in the poly tank has to be grounded also or you will never have a complete circuit between the sending unit and the gauge.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I thought thanks. As someone else once wrote I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Just for clarity.....you CAN just ground the SENDING UNIT to the frame.....forget the tank....the sender doesn't know the tank even exists, electrically speaking./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I just installed the sender unit and new gauge for my jeep. The tank is the under seat kind. I am having problems with the gauge, beause it pulses. it will go middle then up a little then down... Did i screw up the ground by siliconing the sender to the tank. I just didn't want gas leaking into my cab.
Thanks if someone can point me in the right direction.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the silicone is the only thing holding the sender in the tank that might be the problem. You might be getting an intermittent ground. If it were mine, I would run a ground wire from the sender to somewhere on the body or frame just to check it out. It would only take five minutes to do and I know you have some extra wire laying around somewhere.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I have the sending unit bolted to it, but i think it might not have a good ground. I will test it by graounding it.
Thanks for all the info.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.