Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 true convertible. The fuel filler hose has cracked and leaks very bad where it connects to the larger hose connected to the tank. Is this a common Jeep (CJ) part or is it something found only on the jeepster/commando? Any sources out there where these can be obtained. Would like to get it back to origional condition. Not just jerry rigged!

Thanks

Gavin

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
You are out of luck for an off the shelf replacement. Parts stores carry flexible filler hose that you should be able to use, or even a radiator hose will work, but it will not last as long. A hose shop can custom bend you a filler hose, that is the best way to go, bring them your old one and have them make a new one.

John
48 CJ-2A, 49 Willys truck, 70 Jeepster Commando, 89 Wrangler, 98 4x4 Tacoma

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Parts stores should have flexible fuel filler hose that you can bend to fit (That's what I did). Here's the kicker: It's about $1.50 per inch. /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

YOu can use radiator hose, but you'll just end up changing fuel filters often and redoing the job a few years later.

Joel F.
Marquette, Michigan
Project No-Bucks
'68 Jeepster Commando
'79 Scout Traveler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when you say custom bend. Mine is rubber with a metal coil interior. Are you talking about them bending me sometype of metal filler hose? I guess that would work just as well. I figured it was going to be a problem when I saw that the vent runs back into the upper portion of the filler hose......

The cracked area is at the bottom where it connects onto the larger rubber hose mated to the actual gas tank. I thought about trying to build some type of union but I thought that it would be a problem as far as gas leaks go?????

Thanks

Gavin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never worked on the filler hose. When you say bend to fit. By hand? Does it have some type of metal rigid interior to it or something?

What should I do about the gas tank vent?

Thanks

Gavin

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Gavin, I kept teh upper portion of the stock filler hose and used a muffler type pipe reducer/coupler thing (I can't think of the word) and a couple of hose clamps. It hasn't leaked yet.

This stuff looks basically like coolant hose (but fuel proof) with the big spring running through it so it's flexible and stays in the shape you bend it without crimping.

Joel F.
Marquette, Michigan
Project No-Bucks
'68 Jeepster Commando
'79 Scout Traveler

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
That's just what I did, got some marine epoxy that was impervious to fuel and spread it on the crack with my finger. I didn't even take it out, just reached through the gas cap. First I did reach in there with a file and ruffed up the plastic, hasn't leaked in a year.

Tom
69 Jeepster
89 Suburban 4wd
00 Expedition 4wd

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Fuel filler hose should not have a spring running through it, that is radiator hose. Look on the hose, it should have markings that say it is safe for use with fuel. Bending it just means it is flexible, by no means will it retain that shape. Having one made will make it retain the shape of your original hose. Tom's sealant idea is a good one depending on how bad your filler hose is. It sounds like you already have a radiator hose in there though.

John

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
John, some fuel fill hoses do have a wire in them. I know cause I used to sell them when I managed an auto parts store. Next time you're at work, look up a 4663 Gates. We used to carry the ones you are talking about too. But some people would insist on the ones with wire, so we'd order those. It helps stop it from collapsing when bending it.

Tom
69 Jeepster
89 Suburban 4wd
00 Expedition 4wd

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I will look, but none of the pre bent ones or universal ones here have wire that I have seen. Most ungrounded wires around gasoline tent to collect static that causes sparks and stuff, not the greatest around gas tanks. $.02

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it blows up you wont be around to tell us. If its going to blow up, it would happen when you are filling it up and that puts you by the tank and you flying away from the tank,,,, know what I mean. I have sean some hose where the wire is molded into the hose.....and no metal spring exposed to the elements.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mine is definately the origional fuel filler hose. It does have what basically looks like a spring that keeps the hose expanded. It is all preformed and part of the actual female part of the gas cap apparatus that is bolted into the side of the body by several bolts. I think I'm going to try and put in a new section that will mate to both the origional fuel filler and the hose attached to the gas tank.

Thanks for all the help.

GS

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
So you can or can't see the spring in a filler hose? If you can't that would have not seen one. I cut my original filler in half, no spring in there.

John

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I used a new filler hose for a J2000 or a Wagoneer of the same year. I used the first 6 inches because it is the same as ours and cut the rest off. I then used a muffler part with the right angle to get to the hose coming up from the tank. Works great. I will look in my receipt book to find out what hose I purchased from Specialty Parts. I hope I have it.

Walt

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Phone book - hoses. The one here is called HoseMan.
They've got most every kind you can think of.

I was building a project racecar once, needed a big hose but a fast double bend.

They had a gasoline approved hose with a stiffener inside, maybe a spring or a flat coil of steel, it wasn't visible but it sure held the hose rigid nicely.
I gave them the specs, they bent it at 2 right angles for me without collapsing. Perfect!

For the vent they can install a brass bung to merge the two.
And it wasn't all that expensive.
Go pro.

98% is Understanding it
"Don't Fix Unless Broke"

·
Registered
237 Posts
RRich, Where can we find the Hose Man? I've looked all over here in denver a while back, could only find generic fuel hose. Expensive and parts store had both internal wire and non-wire type (Big A, now CarQuest). I'm getting fumes in my Jeepster interior and can pinpoint to the filler hose where it meets the body. Would like to change out cap flange to the '72 type and connect the fill hose directly there and run a single piece of hose to the tank without a cloodged up mess of hose clamps and adapters.

Joe
'67 Jeepster Convertible - Deluxe Edition
'67 M614 military trailer - camo edition
'67 BMW R50- It ain't a 4x4, but it is just as sweet

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Hoseman 805-988-1072.
Thats the one closest to me in So. Cal

Tom
69 Jeepster
89 Suburban 4wd