Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one cheaked to see if there fuel economy city + highway has improved at all and if so by how much,when you drive your Dakota or other pickup truck with the tail gate removed.Thanks to all who respond ...shrewster56.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have heard that my whole life but have never taken the initiative to actually check it, I would guess that there is a minimal improvement.
c-ya Ronny

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, my friend has a ford ranger and he claims he got 1-2 mpg better on the interstate. I've always got stuff in my bed so I've never really tryed it.
--Davey

[email protected]
95 Chevy 2500 ext. cab and a Big 75 Ford

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've actually figured it out on my S-10 chevy with the tail gate down on the interstate over a long distance Las Vegas to Albuquerque a little over a mile per gallon.Oh by the way 4 banger 5 speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
remember that in some states it is illegal to run with your tailgate in the down position. Most cops want bother you about it but their is always that one with a big TJ Hooker complex

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
with my old 89 dodge 3/4 ton pickup, i never notced a difference with the tailgate down, off or a net. i dont know about a difference in a dakota, but it didnt make a difference in a 3/4 ton with a 360.

when you own a dodge you dont need a hobby

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i consistantly get WORSE mileage with my Ram and the tailgate down. City, highway, loaded or unloaded. I dont yet have an explanatiuon, but i am willing to venture its got something to do with the air pressure being negative behind the truck due to its passing through, and with the gate up, this pressure may help the truck, rather than hurt it...hell, i dont know!

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i get 1 0r 2 mpg better with the tail gate down of off. And if its windy on the freeway i don't get blown around as much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I removed the tailgate on my 97' W/ 360 and it didn't make any difference. I don't think this works.. We all have to face the fact that we drive big gas guzzling trucks!!!

Powder

97' RAM 2500 5.9L
5" Skyjacker
33" BFG MT's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont think it makes a dam bit of difference if the tailgate is down in my Trailduster. But, the spare tire hanging off the rear quarterpanel sure makes a racket when it swings back and forth- BLAM BLAM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My friend has a S-10 V6 '00. He hoped to get better gas mileage by taking his tailgate off. He did so and purchased a gator net. Sent him 12 bucks in the hole b/c the gas mileage is the same w/ the tailgate off :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was told once (so don't know if its true or not) that in the mid '70's that aerodynamic tests were performed on trucks of the day. It seems that with the tailgate up, a bubble a stagnant air formed in the bed and made the truck more aerodynamic. I suppose the turbulent drag from the back of the cab was worse than that over the tailgate. Perhaps a bed cover is a better option than removing the tailgate, I have one on my truck, it hasen't made a difference, but thats not why I got.

From experience however, I've never seen a full-size with a V8 gain any milage by losing the tailgate. However I have seem some smaller trucks or trucks with straight sixes pickup a few miles per gallon by losing the tailgate.

Mopars and 4x4s

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.