Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems the t18 is the transmission wanted in a jeep cj, and from what i have read it came in fsj's too. what the difference between the two? its just the long input shaft right? are these trannies easier and cheaper to find than cj-t18's? so couldn't i just i change the input shaft, and this will bolt up to the dana 20? one more thing, will a GM 4 cylinder jeep bellhousing bolt to any t18? i read at off-road.com's tech section that the ford t18 bolt pattern is the same as a t-176 which is the same as a GM 4 cylinder (i think) but is the jeep the same too? i'm really, really sorry for these questions, but you guys are the only people i know that know jeeps, and i need the help so i know what i'm getting into. i'd rather build it right the first time than have to redo it again. thanks a lot /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

Keith
89/91 cr 125
89 Yamaha SRV

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
youll need a ford input shaft, and bearing collar,( about $130) and the appropriate bellhousing, i dont know ANYTHING about the GM 4 banger..

the FSJ T18 will already be bolted to a dana 20 if you get one before 1980, the ones after 1980 have a 5 inch adapter on the rear of them that will fit a dana 300 but its really LONG, unless you have a CJ8

the later 70s FSJ trannys are the ones that are 6.32:1 granny first, some of hte older ones might be either, just verify it before you buy it..

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a fsj T18 out of a 1970 Wagoneer. It has granny low, says T18 on tranny case but says T98 on top cover (were using up left over t98 covers). I also bought a Ford T18 out of a 1970 2wd pickup. I had the front bearing holder turned down on a lathe to fit in my GM (buick V6) bellhousing. With some mods the Ford case will bolt up to my bellhousing. Then I need to take the Jeep output shaft out to install in the ford tranny. I also need to take jeep transfer case adapter plate off, drill and tap ford case to match. Quite an undertaking but hopefully will be worth it. Ed.
67 CJ5
77 FLH
92 KX125

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks a lot edd and ozarkjeep, your info has been really helpful /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Keith
89/91 cr 125
89 Yamaha SRV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.