Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a model 20 out of a FSJ in a CJ7. I want to swap in Dana 44's but the only front Dana 44's are from FSJ and most of them have the Dana 20 axle with one piece axles. Does anyone know if the rear axle of a FSJ, either Dana 44 or model 20, is centered in the rear? Do you guys think that a model 20 has enough upgrade options (ie. lockers and gears) to run with a 44 front? Any other input (other than scout b/c I'm having trouble finding them)? Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
hey tim.. a man after my thinking.. i am putting fsj axles in my cj.. the model 20 is good.. actually a slight bit bigger.. and if it has the one piece axles.. then its in my mind better than a 44. if its off center, it just has to do with the quadra trac version of the truck. i will give you some more info here...
the amc 20 was in 76-86 wagoneers and 1/2 tons (which are wider than the older ones by 2" 1974 they increased the width from 57.5 to 59")
d44 rears '71-'75 wag, 1/2 tons, 74-83 wide track, 87-91 wag
semi floating d60 '71-'87 1/2 tons as an HD option, 3/4 tons trucks
full floation d60 '71-'87 3/4 tons and 1 tons
and i believe in 74 they changed to a 6 lug pattern.. vehicles prior to that are 5 on 5 and half..
i have the d44 and sf d60 off of a 73 1/2 with the heavy duty option.. 5 on 5 and half.. and the front is set up for spring over.. but it is a closed knuckle.. they didnt go to open knuckle till '74
most of these vehicles came with the dana 44 front.. trucks, wagoneers went to a d44 in 74 i believe.. before that they were d30's i think.. but the trucks ran d44's front

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim:
I know some guys that do just what your talking about FSJ D44 front and FSJ AMC 20 rear. I don't know the years you need. Seems like the D44 has to come off one series of FSJ and the AMC 20 rear off another...probably necessitating a gear swap unless your lucky enough to find two with the same gear ratio. The centered diff AMC 20 rear off FSJ is supposed to be pretty damn strong, I'm told. The tubes are WAY beefier than your CJ AMC 20. It has 1 piece axles and the ring gear is bigger than a D44. I've also been told if you've got a locker in your CJ rear it can be used in the FSJ AMC20 so parts, upgrades should'nt be to hard..
The big difference is width...the FSJ axles are wider than wide track and Scout axles by about 4", I think.
Shain

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
TIM,

all FSJ from 74-79 used Dana 44s front and rear, with disk brakes in the front

only the quadra track versions had an offset rear

1980 and later had the front differential on the drivers side, and MOST had an AMC 20 model rear, and like the other guys said the AMC 20 from a FSJ is pretty much equal to a dana44

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.