Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Was told some full size Jeeps (I think they were talking mostly about J20's) had Dana 60 rears with a Dana 44 front. That intrest me a lot but also what I was told is that the D44's pumkin was on the driver's side. Is this true? I quess my big ? is What year J10-20 had a Dana 60 rear with a Dana 44 front to the driver's side?
All help is much welcomed!!!
Thanx,

SandSpyder 1995 YJ Rio Grande, 4.0 HO, 4spd. Auto, 4.56:1 w/ARB's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im not sure what years they had the drivers side drop on the drivers side? I know mine do and they were out of
a 84? J20 pickup... Only J20s had them b/c they are the 3/4 alxes...Usually the rear will be a FF D60 with
3.07 gearing and a traclock... the D44 front is just a wider version of that out of a Wagoneer except it uses
GM 3/4 brakes... Only problem is the axles are EXETREMELY wide... I mean I think they are wider then the
full sized chevy and ford axles...If you have any questions Im right up the road in Eureka and wouldnt
mind sitting down with you to talk about it.
BTW there are several yards around here that have these J20s in them... Just findin them is the prob.
Later
Dustin

AMC 401 YJ...

JeepChild

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my freinds 74(?) J-10 has dana 44/dana 60 from the factory, pretty sure it's semi float and came with some of the trucks with 401's

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs

· Registered
4,675 Posts
J20s from 1980 and up will have 44/60 with the pumpkin on the drivers side

gears should be 3.31/or optional 4.09

Jeepchild is right though, really too wide for a Cj/YJ/TJ, in fact I tried to tell Dustin that last year, but it wasnt what he wanted to hear!! what are you gonna do to those axles now? shorten them huh? haha

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a CJ rear seat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 80 and up wagoneers have housings that are about 65" wide, wheel flange to flange. They are drivers side drop. Whats wrong with narrowing them Ozarkjeep??

Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

· Registered
4,675 Posts
Nothing wrong with narrowing them other than hard to find axle shafts if you break a shortened one.

I was just razzing Jeepchild, he was trying to tell me he wasnt gonna narrow them, and they would fit just right...

hehe

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a CJ rear seat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All J series trucks from 1980 and newer will have the front diff on the drivers side with a centered rear diff. The 1979 and older J trucks have the diff on the passenger side and the rear diff is slightly offset to the passenger side also. This goes for the Wagoneers as well.
The Dana 60's were offered in the early J-4000 series trucks with a 5 hole wheel pattern, the J-20's had a 8 lug Dana 60.
I am building a rig right now that is setup with full width axles and they don't stick out that far. I am going to run a Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear, with the YJ flares the tires only stick out about 4 1/2".
I know that some don't like the axles to stick out very far but I guess each to his own.

Peanut

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Peanut how wide are the tires that you are running? What is your backspacing on the wheels? Is that 4 1/2" messured to the outside of the tire? Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.