Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how much longer chevy axles are compared to cj axles? if i used the flar top fenders would they cover the tires? I saw a cj8 that entered the ttc and it looked like it cleared them fine. hoe about the steering? would that be a concern and how about the spring perches? would i have to move them to the outside of the frame if i was going to run them full lenth?
and how about on tight trails would i regret having a full lenth axle on a tight trail? but the good thing would be i still have the short wheel base.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I looked at going with full size Chevy axles but I think I have talked myself out of them. The axles are about 67" a narrow track CJ is about 50" and a wide track is about 54" and a YJ is around 60". You will have to run outboard mounted springs (unless someone know a trick I don't) some steering will probably need fabed. As for the tight trails that is for you to decide. That was my main concern when looking at full width axles.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way I see it, full widths are a personal preference type thing. Personally I love them. We just finished putting them under my buddies 7 and I am going to tomorrow to pick up my donor vechicle to swap into my 5. (74 3/4 power wagon). As for the trails, just look at where you normally go. For the trails I run it is no problem. Just my 2 cents.

Big 78 CJ5, 95 Chevy 2500 ext. cab

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
it is illegal in almost every state to have the tires hang out more than 2"... my boggers on cj axles hang out a good 9 inches each side with 10" rims.. i cannot imagine pushing them out another 4 inches each side... tires less than 14 inches would not be under the jeep at all...

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

·
Registered
389 Posts
Nice lookin Jeep...

I would have to agree with that after looking at
your jeep, full width axles would put the tires
WAY out past the fenders...

Luke

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.