Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a problem with the front wheel studs threads keep stripping out. I have had this problem since the day I brought this Samurai home. It has only happened on the front passenger side. I am using the chrome lugnuts with my ARE wheels. The thread pitch and size is correct. The only thing that I can think of is maybe the brake rotor got really hot to caused the studs to loose their thread strength?!?! Either that or I am tightening them too tight. It's just weird and I have never seen anything like this before.

Does anyone know where I can find these studs besides the $uzuki Dealer? I need an entire set and I have been looking high and low for a year and even the dealer said that they would have to $pecial order them. Does anyone know if a Tracker stud is close enough? I sent SuzukiJohn an email because he is about the only one I have found that sells them on the internet.

87' Samurai/1.6 Big Block/dual 40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/1" shackle lift/CJ-5/Sami springs/31" High-Tecs/roll cage, bumpers & pumpkin caps in progress...

·
Registered
829 Posts
The wheel studs are metric!

Rodney C
1985 CJ7,302 V8,T18,D20,SOA,Shackles Reversed, 35" BFG AT's, Fiberglass Tub & Front End...
1990 Samurai,87 drive line,SOA 2.5" Add-A-Leaf,4.16's,5.12's,33" BFG's Mud's,Pony Carb...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, they are 12x1.25mm. I have search the shelves of Autozone, Pep Boy's, Trak Auto, and even NAPA. Everyone lists them, but no one carries them and when they check the computer/books they show up as unavailable. I am about to start pulling them off parts Samurais at the junk yard if Suzuki John does not carry them. I think he had them listed a while back on eBay.

87' Samurai/1.6/40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/shackle lift/CJ-Sami springs/X-over steering/4" Pitman arm/31x13.50 TSL-SX/pumpkin caps/Roll cage and bumpers in progress...

G

·
oh that sucks @$$!!! 3 of mine stripped out and it took about a day with the hammer to break em off!! I was PISSED!!!

G

·
All the O'Reilly's I've been in have them on the shelf.

'88 Suk, 1.3L, 2"exhaust,carb mod, 235/75 Buckshot mudders,removable doors,working on half doors,'87 for parts.

·
Registered
475 Posts
autozone or oreillys should have them in stock--oldzuki

88 spoa samurai/weber/isky
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?

G

·
I have not had a problem getting them from NAPA.

Scott Whitmore
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." Dalai Lama

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
the guy who had them is the guy from Las Vegas. I don't remember who he is though. Perhaps someone else will. I also have a set on the spare axle but I havne't pulled them off yet. I can get them off and get them down to you when we do the SPOA.

Pauly

Give it to me; I'll break it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has anyone had this problem before with one wheel? It only happens to the front passenger side.

Capn - This is depressing. It seems that everyone in the country has them except us! I have scouted everywhere for them and refuse to buy them from the $uzuki dealer for almost $7 each. I will check NAPA, Autozone, and Pep Boy's today... again! At least before I have someone go to their local auto store and ship them to me.

87' Samurai/1.6 Tracker/40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/shackle lift/CJ-Sami springs/Cross over steering/4" Pitman arm/31x13.50 TSL-SX/Pumpkin caps/Roll cage and bumpers in progress...

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
If they come off of my axle easy I'll yank a couple today and bring them down tonight when I drop off your tailgate. Are you looking for any other spare parts?

Give it to me; I'll break it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Guess I'm lucky, my local Suzi dealer only charged about $1.50 each. Didn't try O'Reilly's. You really have to watch some of the wheel places though, they will try to use 12mm x 1.5 instead of 1.25. That's what happened to my studs.

Larry Robertson
88.5 Samurai-Under construction-always
90 Samurai-Under construction-always
97 Suzuki Sidekick Sport-Wife's ride
Way too much horsepower is barely enough!

G

·
Same here, autozone has them under the counter. I just wiped them out. I have the nuts strip out on mine. Just the passenger side front and rear. I figured its because I am always taking them off to do something and wearing them out a little early.

John
87 suzuski samurai

G

·
I got mine from kragen. make sure they go on snug and not sloppy, just because its marked metric on the package does not mean its metric. I've seen that happen working in the brake shop years ago

G

·
just do like i did i took a lug out and miced it and then took it with me to parts house got a differentkind and replaced them all and i keep up with the yr and modle they come from so in case i need then again later i hate metric

Flaming Zuki [/b]"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid"

·
Registered
252 Posts
Why are yu guys having such a problem with lug nuts?????do you over tighten them???I've had the tires off of mine more times then I can remember in the 3 years I've owned it and never had a problem.Are you not using a torque wrench when re-installing the the lug nuts???65 FT.Lbs. is not as tight as you may think

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finally found some wheel studs. Autozone and Pep Bay's still say the are unavailable however NAPA special ordered them and will have them here today. An hour later Capn_Crunch showed up at my house and not only had five used studs that he pulled front a spare axle, but also a straight rust free tailgate! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Thanks Capn, I am going to still pick up the set at NAPA and keep them as spares.

87' Samurai/1.6 Tracker/40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/shackle lift/CJ-Sami springs/Cross over steering/4" Pitman arm/31x13.50 TSL-SX/Pumpkin caps/Roll cage and bumpers in progress...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Since I needed to buy some more studs for my wheels, I was able to confirm the price I mentioned earlier. I bought 3 rear studs on my lunch break from my local Suzi dealer. $4.86 for all 3 including tax.

Larry Robertson
88.5 Samurai-Under construction-always
90 Samurai-Under construction-always
97 Suzuki Sidekick Sport-Wife's ride
Way too much horsepower is barely enough!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.