Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the front end of my 1991 Pathfinder seems to be all over the road. Got a Moog Idler arm installed (which I thought would cure the wandering,) and the alignment done. Can't seem to pinpoint why/where the problem is coming from.

The insides of my front tires are toasted, so I would like to figure out why my truck cant steer straight when the suspension is compressed(i.e...under hard braking and hitting dips in the road. The tires even chirp while turning into my driveway!
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

'91 Pathfinder heavily modified

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have you checked to see if your center-link or Tie-rod is bent and how are your wheel bearings, another thing is maybe your bushings are toast? When I still had my IFS these and also bent/busted idler arms were the cause for those same characteristics that you described, have you had the pleasure of driving home from wheeling with your tires pointing in different directions yet? It's not fun!
Hope this helps, and good luck?

Chris James
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif"Go Solid or Go Home"/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you had your alignment done but are still driving on the "toasted" tires that could be the cause of the truck riding bad, as the front end gets worn out the tires will wear funny, when you correct the front end problems but do not change tires your forcing the tires to ride on a different part of the tire thats their used to which could cause drifting and pulling problems.

TONY(HARDBODY)

TONY(HARDBODY)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, you might want to see if your ball joints need to be replaced. This is the problem with my truck. It cost a hefty $300 to $400 dollars. But it need to be done. Hope thats not your problem.
"Ride hard or go home"
Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is doing the precise same thing. The steering wheel jerks when I hit a large bump in the road, and the steering wheel vibrates under braking pressure. My tires are chirping quite a bit too. I know of one of my problems, the lower control arm bushing is shot. Im going to replace these with an energy suspension poly kit. The bushings are making racket, and look worn. Perhaps our a-arms are flexing a way they shouldnt? My tires are in great shape too, thats what gets me. My wandering isnt bad yet, but im going to do the moog idler arm just to be on the safe side. Where can I find the moog part again? lost the site already! Thanks guys

Happy Trails
Wade

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wade,

Did they ( Energy Suspension that is ) tell you they had bushings for the PF ? When I called last week the y said they had nothing listed for any Nissan ? If they gave you any part #'s I wold be interested.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing to remember about tire wear is that all Pathfinder's have an overly positive camber, so the tires have to rotated quite often to help reduce the inner wear. It might sound funny but it's one of the few flaw's in the Pathfinder front-end design!

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif"Go Solid or Go Home"/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, they have the a-arm (control arm) bushings and front sway bar bushings. Ive got the sway bar kit on mine presently, and love it. Nismo has the control arm bushings listed in their catalog. Sorry to say, but I dont have any part numumbers. Email [email protected] that is energy suspensions email (or who I got an email back from about the parts). Try their website too! Hope this helps

Happy Trails
Wade

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I sure hope it isn't my ball joints or something expensive like that. Wade, I got my Moog Idler arm from Automotive.com for $65 or something around there.

How much was that solid front axle swap???......

'91 Pathfinder heavily modified

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess your asking me about the axle swap? It was about $5,000.00 US or $260,000.00 Cdn hahaha! You could do it for a little cheaper pending how much of the parts you want to go with used as opposed to new??
I have a parts list on hand if you want, otherwise I think some of the Nissan 4x4 web pages also have it posted.

Chris J.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Ahh yes! I had the same problems after losing traction on a steep incline over a riverbed. The problem was a bent tie rod end(u shaped)and a idler arm that looked ok but was bent, and a bent center link. I replaced all the parts got it realigned and now I only have the normal torsion bar noise in the front.
You might look at the frame above the centerlink/tie-rod ends, if the nuts are rubbing your frame there is a definite bent part.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts