Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so this is an F150 question - so sue me!
I picked up the factory hardware for dual shock mounts (up front) for a little bit o' nothin' . . . I'll be purchasing leveling srings soon & when I throw it all together I'm gonna need 4 shocks.
I've never purchased shocks before, other than telling the guy accross the counter what model car it was & hoping the dumb punk knows how to read his parts book. So here's the question - what do I need to be looking for /staying away from? I dont want shocks that are too long, right? Leveling Springs only add 1.5 - 2 inches, and I see that this dual shock mount has one a little longer than the other . . .
Help!

G

·
Yep, the front shocks are different lengths. None of the books will be correct for maximum wheel travel, trust me. What you want to do is disconnect all shocks, install your leveling springs (ideally let them break in a bit, you can always run your old single shock during this time), and then ramp it or "rock" it or "retaining wall" it or whatever you can to MAX out the susp travel. Measure from there and then go to the books yourself to find the shock you need. Many, many, many shock lengths are avail online so you don't need a parts monkey or a parts house to figure this out.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn if that doesnt sound like a logical, common sense-ical, and damn fine idea-ical answer.

Thanks Shilo!

G

·
BurntPiston, I agree w/you. I only run a single shock on my SAS and no problems.

Multiple shocks per corner would really only come in handy for desert racing type stuff; a single shock, no matter how stiff, will heat up and lose efficiency if exposed to frequent, multiple hits at high speed. For such situations you're better off to distribute the load over several softer shocks, and this could be true for towing to some extent. Regardless, a single front shock is fine for most applications, and IMO, preferred for rock crawling just 'cause it's simpler to mount, easier to figure length (not lengthS), and, well, cheaper!

OTOH, if you're a show 'n shine poser you want as many chromed shocks as can be crammed under your rig. But that's another story.........

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
i've run duals and singles on the front and i cant really tell a difference, except it seems like i go through the singles faster. i'll probably throw duals back on next time around (soon!)

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Rancho Shock Specs

Don't remember where I found this.....
But, I attached a PDF that has all the specs for Rancho shocks by "series" (5000, 9000, and RSX) and "part" number.
Like was mentioned previously, find out exactly what your travel is, then match the shocks.
The rearward shock on your dual setup will be the shorter one.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Chromed Dual Shock Poser....Shilo, you havn't posted in awhile....must have been busy with a project....maybe an engine.

BurntP. I agree too....I run the duals up front, but on my next outing, I'm taking the stock (rear) single location one off. My added second shock is the one with more potential travel, and my guess is at the droop end of things, that smaller rear one may be holding me up somewhat. But as Shilo says, I will test that out in the real world, not with trying to figure out total length and halving it and getting what works on paper. If this is true, I may just take off 2 of my 9000's I have and dial up my singles one notch. I don't do much desert racing. I have gotten my truck to 65 on the beach though, smoothes out the whoop de doos immensly. Can't do that much anymore because there are so darned many sand gnats running around now.

G

·
I was running 5010's up front but they were just too loose and allowed the truck to rock back and forth like crazy. To eliminate the guesswork I just went to 9010's, on 3 they were good until they broke in (I guess) and then I moved them up to 4 when the rocking returned, huge difference and it's been great ever since.

It all depends upon the quality of your shocks of course. I'd guess a quality single shock would be just as good or better than two cheapies. But if you're hauling heavy loads more shocks probably can't hurt, if properly valved.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the leveling springs are 'bout $150 for the pair, not too bad i figure . . .

And if i was gonna "custom fab" anything, I'd want'ta move the mount up & use an even longer spring.

I'll probably never come off of the many, many $$'s for the 4" suspension system that I'd love to have . . . so I'll settle for this, maybe trim the fenders if need be for tire clearance. (I see 35's in my crystal ball.)

Lotsa skeptics out there (I figured there would be). . .sounds like Steve83's down with my plan, though. I notice most guys saying 2 shocks are overkill are already running duals, so unhook that front one & then come back & tell me about it!

G

·
hitech, it all depends upon what kind of 'wheeling you do, not who you are or what you think. For crawling (my background) there's really no need for duals/quads whatever you want to call them.

If you can run duals, get the right lengths so they don't restrict wheel travel (if you care about that), and dont' mind shelling out the cash for more shocks, go for it. If properly set up it can only help w/high-speed and on-road handling.

As for personal experience, I ran TTB w/quad shocks for three plus years. Now I run SAS w/a single shock per wheel, and if anything it's more stable.... of course it's apples and oranges, TTB to SAS. Also, my TTB shocks were fairly cheap, while I now run a single Rancho 9k per front wheel.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Yep, second that. sorry for the misunderstanding. Not a skeptic here. I love my duals when on road and when hauling something. The trails is when I would like to take the rear one off.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hadn't thought about this one in a while - too many more important things ... but now that I'm a little older & wiser, I'm curious -
As someone around here loves to say, TTB doesn't stuff ... now that I've finally come to understand that statement, I don't suppose longer spring travel is gonna do diddly as far as helping increase wheel travel, eh?
Whaddya think?

... Oh Yeah - and somebody help BurntP out w/ his shock brackets, please.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I'm sure the longer radius arms on my Rancho kit help but I can't help but think that my duels help on the higher speed offroad stuff. The difference between my setup and stock is night and day. I hardly feel washboard roads anymore with my setup and that has got to be the shox. Duels Rock!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts