Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK its time to bite the bullet. I need an idler arm, 4 ball joints and lower control arm bushings. I've been
using tools a long time but not on my front end. My motor head friend says it's a one six pack job
and everything but the bushings would be doable for me but I'm chicken. It's driveable but drifts left.
Nissan wants about $970.
I want to know :

1. Any aftermarket replacement parts to use instead of Nissan and how much $$.

2. Anyone seen and know where to get a training video on this like I've seen for engine rebuilds?

I'm not talking lift just stock or improved stock replacements.

84 720 KC 4x4. Thanks for any info.

720s Forever

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is not as difficult as you think. As far as the idler arm goes, go with a moog(I think that is spelled right) or something else that is built a little heavier. My new Idler arm from Lordco(our local parts store) lasted almost exactly one year. I was running 31" tires at the time but that was with no offroading and no heavy loads, just commuting.
If your comfortable taking the rest of your truck apart the front end should be no big deal. Pick up a manual(if you dont already have one)and follow the steps. Your may want to purchase (or rent ) the proper tool to seperate your balljoints, besides a pickle fork.
Goodluck
Lance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did my upper balljoints a couple of months ago and they were pretty easy. However you do need a balljoint puller(I bought the fork type for 8 bucks, they are 6 to rent), a floor jack is a must for aligning stuff. I bought the joints from Action Auto parts(better than the idiots at shucks). If you have a napa near by get them there. I paid $45 a piece for the uppers, I think they are moog, try to get ones with zerk fittings if possible. But I would definety go to napa or whoever you are most comfortable with for important parts or bend over and go to the dealer. Any other questions I might be able to help, have done a bit of work to the frontend on mine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks lance I think that you just saved me some money, I was just about to get some stuff from lordco, guess I`ll check napa instead.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK , the moog parts or napa seems like the way to go. I've got a manual and will study carefully before
attempting anything. Thanks to you Lance, Strider and anyone else who answers. This board
is great.

720s Forever

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't get me wrong shane i'm not here to slam lordco it's just that i have had bad luck with there idler arms. I do have upper and lower balljoints purchased from them that i have had no problems with.
On another note I was a the wreckers today and picked up a chevy 2.5 litre carb from an s-10. I has the exact same bolt pattern so i'm going to attempt a swap on my z-22. I'll let you know how it goes.
Lance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are you sure that it is a 2.5 and not a 2.8? I would be very interested in how it goes as my carb in the basement waiting for a rebuild.
The abiltiy to replace the stock carb with an inexpensive chevy carb would be sweeeeet!!!

As for the lordco thing, I`ll bet that they can get moog products or a higher quality product if you ask for it. My experience with most
parts stores is that they will give you the cheapest product unless you ask. For most people this is fine, but for off-road you need a
better product.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No it is definatly from a 2.5. It was a four banger. It is possible that the 2.8 carb has the same body and has just been rejeted to go on the 2.5. Maybe????
Lance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.