Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our niece came over today and asked me to look at her Ford Ranger Pickup. She said she was getting a violent vibration when braking. sounded like the old dreaded death wobble to me. Took the truck out for a test run, tried both easy and hard baking, no death wobble, although the truck did pull to the right. She then said it would also happen if you drove at a steady speed. Tried that also at different speeds no wobble. After more talking she finally stated oh, it only happens when it's cold out in the morning and I first drive it. She stated if it is warm out it doesn't, also after she drives it to work 10-15 miles, parks it and goes out later and drives it, the vibration is gone.

Looking for some help from any Ford experts. Going to have to take one of my days off and go over to her house on a cool morning and she if I can get it to fail.

Bill

· Registered
3 Posts
bad shimmy cold

the temp thing makes me think rack and pinnion/ power steering but i would start with changing the brake pads up front and check the back drums at same time. while you are down there you should take a close look at the rotors. Mine didn't look that bad but I micrometered them and they were worn past a resurface so i bought new rotors. at about $40 ea. for slightly better ones than ford it was a drastic difference.fords are notoriously bad braked.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.