Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a better way to set up the front drive shaft. I've done a SOA on a 68 commando and it apears the front drive shaft through a carrier bearing is weak. Anybody know of a stronger way to do this using the stock D20 transfer case and the TH400 transmission?????? Thanks in advance for the help!!!!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i should really look at a jeepster some time. they used a carrier bearing? damn strange. well you'll probally have to get it cut, but use one out of a commando. actually going SOA lengthens the front drive shaft anyway, so it might fit perfect. to make sure, if its close, after its installed, jack the front of the jeep up by the frame in the center with the tires on. you should have at least an 1.5 inches of spline left in the slide. (make sure it turns to) then let it down to check that there is at least 2 inches left to compress. if the shaft is to long/short, its easly cut, or lenghtend by a drive line shop. if the angle is to great, and the shaft binds, and its mainly used for off road (boy i'm going to get $hit for this) just tilt the pinion up slighty. i used to bend mine like a bannana every time i went out, till i did this. yes it takes a little more concentration to drive, but those are the consaquences. there is another way to do it by rotating the knuckles, but it is a real pain in the butt. there is one other consideration, thats driveshaft to x-mission clearance. there are more than a few th-400's out there with busted pan corners becouse a x-fer case u-joint let loose. make sure you replace the u-joints, weather you think the're good or not. i have tried every brand(including spicer) and found brute force, non-greasable, to be the BEST. i will debate this with anyone who thinks otherwise. other than that, good luck

toad
3-72' commando wagons
72' half-cab
01' f-250 4x4, super cab, longbed, V-10
artic cat 300 4x4
01' kawasaki KLX 300R

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I see no real weakness in the 2 piece driveshaft setup, but on the trail it could be a pain. Changing a u-joint on the transfer case end would be a real pain on the trail, you can hardly see the thing. Switching over to a one piece shaft will require some exhaust re-routing in most cases, and you might have a bigger issue with the shaft clearing the pan of the tranny, but not real shure on this one, I had a TH400 for one day, never agian. Still not shure on clearance issues for the th400, and positive it will not work with an SM420, but for SM465 and T-14 users you can increase the size of the front u-joints if you switch over to a one piece shaft. Find an old flatfender with a 4 cylinder and D18 t-case, and the front driveshaft yokes are 1310's, the same u-joint the rear shaft of most jeeps. The spline counts on the yokes are all 10 spline and will swap right over. The V-6 equiped jeeps used a smaller front driveshaft U-join't not shure why. The AMC commando's as far as I know already have this larger u-joint on the front.

John
70 Jeepster with "Hurc package"
225 V-6/SM420/D18, D44's locked 4.88, 8" SOA 36's
48 flattie 225 V-6 HEI/T14/D20, D30/D44 31's.
98 Tacoma EC V6, 2" lift, 33's, and NO swaybar /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Yep, local shop here said it would cost $40 to make a drive shaft for Project No Bucks. I just cut an extra shaft I had, rolled it on the ground to check if it was true, and welded it. No vibrations at 45mph, but I haven't had it on the highway yet. It's just to get me around town.

For the front, I went to the local junkyard, picked out a two piece shaft from a full size Chevy, cut three feet out of it, welded it back together and bolted it in. Of course, that was for the NP205 to D44 front, and the carrier bearing is as big around as my wrist. Also, with freewheeling hubs, who cares if it's completely true? You could always go with the four spline square tube driveshaft. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

Joel F.
Marquette, Michigan
Project No-Bucks
'68 Jeepster Commando
'79 Scout Traveler

G

·
I had a one piece made by a local shop. Clerance on the TH400 pan rail varies from about 1/2" to 1/4" full stuff to full droop. It is real close but there is enough clerance. Also, used a small diameter shaft.
Rondo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.