Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out wheelin' one day and when I parked my '85CJ7 I noticed a small but steady stream of oil dripping from the pan. When I got under it I noticed that my front drive shaft had slammed into the oil pan. The u-joint only dented it but there is a small pin on the drive shaft that gouged the oil pan causing the leak. Before I bought the Jeep it was in a front end collision (front rt.). I imagine that the shaft hit the oil pan when I was trying to pull out a Blazer on a snowy morning, (the Jeep was bucking pretty hard) but I'm not sure. At rest, the shaft has about 1"of clearance btw itself and the pan. Does that sound about normal? Has anyone heard of this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Andy

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
that doesnt seem right.. but alas.. my jeep is in pieces.. so i cannot look. but i have done tons with it. and i never hit the oil pan with the drive shaft.. mmm.. sounds funny to me.. that would mean your axle must have did some serious side shifting

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That kind of clearance is typical in CJ-7s with a swapped in 727 torqueflite. You didn't say what kind of trans and engine. If it is a swapped in trans, sometimes the solution is a thinner driveshaft.

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.