Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

Just wanted to boast a little and thank you all for the helpful posts.

This morning I noticed a new noise coming from under the truck. I drove it around and found it was coming from the front end. I threw it in 4hi to test it and lo and behold a CV joint blew up. It didn't even make it 5 feet once in 4hi. So I read up on replacing the front axles, got my trusty chilton manual out, went down to AUTOZONE and picked up a new one and got down and dirty. 2 1/2 hours later it was all back together including new upper and lower ball joints. It's 'quiet' again. Thanks again and enjoy

· Registered
1,154 Posts
I didn't say there was anythign wrong with it, i sure as hell couldn't do it, im just saying he's the only one who didn't bitch about it.....

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ball joints had been replaced previous to me getting the truck so the rivets had already been drilled out. That was half the battle there. With the ball joints out, the axle came out very easily, I couldn't believe how easy it was. I was actually thinking it was gonna be an all day job but it wasn't. Cool huh

· Registered
1,082 Posts
No kidding! I saved about $400 labor doing my whole front end myself. It may have been a pain, but that pain paid $400!
(Plus you know it's done right and with good parts if you do it yourself)

G

·
You could buy quite a christmas present with that $400. The CV's are pretty easy once you do it. I am on my third front axleshaft. I now keep a spare in the toolbox. The hardest part was finding the 35MM socket to borrow the first time I broke one. That was my next mod - MORE TOOLS.
Congrats on doing it yourself.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
I am very lucky to work in a shop with 2 ASE mechanics that trust me borrowing their tools (like the 36mm socket I used!) I don't know what I would have done without all the tools I borrowed from them.

· Registered
4,199 Posts
yeah a few of us have it good and its not fair.

like on any given day puln my truck in shop and putn it on the lift, to greese everything or change idler arms clutch, or drop a motor in. but ive had my share of working in the mud and dirt snow rain,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.