Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a dana 30 from a 88 wrangler and it has this cylindar thing in it where the traction bar mounts to the axle. Is this part of the vacume system that it has? Do I need to hook it up to get the axle in 4 wheel drive? If I get a manuel locking hub kit do I need it? Is there any manuel locking hub kits that are cheap? Any help would be highly apreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
521 Posts
> I just got a dana 30 from a 88 wrangler and it
> has this cylindar thing in it where the traction
> bar mounts to the axle. Is this part of the
> vacume system that it has?

Yes, it is the vacuum motor which will engage or disengage the passenger side axle. YJs had a vacuum switch on the transfer case which would send vacuum to the shift motor on the axle when the t/c shifted to 4wd. Cable shifters are available if you don't want to dink around with the vacuum.

> Do I need to hook it up to get the axle in 4 wheel drive?

Kinda. You need to either hook it up to a switchable vacuum source, install a cable ****er or remove it alltogether and install a one-piece axle shaft.

> If I get a manuel locking hub kit do I need it?

No. But you will need a one-piece axle shaft.

> Is there any manuel locking hub kits that are cheap?

I'd have to say - no.

> Any help would be highly apreciated.

TJs did away with the disconnect system, they seem to do fine. You need to decide what you want for yours.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Were can I get a 1 piece axle for a front d30? I haven't seen any for sale. Thanks

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
From the front of an XJ (Cherokee), they fit right on.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
You don't even need a one-piece shaft. Pull the cover off of it, the shift motor will come off as well, and slide the coupling so that it engages both shafts. Then move the shift fork on the cover so that it will hold the coupling in place and reinstall it. Now the axle is permanently engaged, for free.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have got a question about the tj front axle that i have always wondered about. If it doesnt' have the vacuum shift collar and it doesn't have hubs how does it lock into four wheel drive?

88 YJ: TR upgrade and MC2100

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
The tj only disconnects the front drive in the transfer case. It's like driving a cj with the front hubs locked all the time.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I engage the fork permanitly would that drag on my gas milage or would it not efect me until I shift into 4 wheel drive? Does anybody know how and where I could get a cable to make a manuel vacuum system? Can any body tell me about this? Thanks

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Yes it will result in slightly less mileage. But you'll spend more on the cable-lock than you would on that extra gas in a year or two, even with inflated prices. How long do you plan to keep the D-30 and is it worth sinking money into?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.