Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put together another 44 for the front of my TJ. Is there any particular vehicle that I should look for to find the strongest version? Easiest match in length? Etc... I had a shop do the one I am running right now and don't really know what they got it out of. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Axlesupagain
98TJ D44 4.56 Detroits / 96XJ D44 3.73 lockright

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a dana 44 in front of my YJ, 59 inches wide, 4:56, powerlock, 30 spline axles, its 4-sale. Check out the classified section for more info. Listed under Currie 9 inch dana 44 for sale

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think its a 78-79 ford axle that has the pumpkin on the drivers side and is setup for spingover with leaf springs. I used a 44 from an 82 grand wagoneer in my yj, but I also had to make a spring pad for the top of the housing as the grands are spring under. As for your coil susp, you would have to make or buy your own brackets. There is a ford model that uses front coils and still has the solid axle but I'm not sure of the years. Or you could just ask the shop that did your first axle what the donor vehicle was. Hope this helps

Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A 44 is better than an 30, but the TJ 30 isn't really that bad an axle. It is stronger than the YJ 30's. Problem with it is, no locking hubs. If that is the reason for the change - a 44 and hubs, go for it. I have been running a D60/D30 combo with Detroit and ARB and 35's on a '97 TJ for some time. Do hard trails too. Front axle is doing fine. About 53,000 miles total and it has been on the trail since new and locked for about 40,000 miles.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I want to build another 44 so I can have real lock outs not the plastic ones that are offered for the 30. I also like to have extras around 'cause I have a tendency to break stuff once in a while.

Axlesupagain
98TJ 4.56 detroits 96XJ 3.73 lockright

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.