Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I am just in the middle of re-assembling my 79 CJ5 . I was preparing to re-paint the front axle(Dana 30) yesterday when I checked the axle u joints and one side clicks a bit when it turns and I assume the needle bearings are ready to fall out . When I remove the caliper holder/backing plate( mine has discs up front) assembly , do the axle shafts just slide out ? My friend says there are retaining clips I have to remove inside the carrier unit in order to pull the axle assemblies out{ kind of like a rear end setup} . Better to change these u joints now that later I think .

Just wanted to add this , I have been using this messageboard for some time now and I certainly appreciate all the help that has come my way . This board has made my Jeep resto project allot easier. Even I have been able to help out and answer a few questions now and then . Hats off to all of you !! Happy Jeepin`

Jeff 79 CJ5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After you take the six nuts off of the spindle to get the backing plate and spindle off, the axle just slides right out.(unless of course the axle ears are spread out) but you didnt say that was a problem so dont worry about it...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my 76' CJ5. I took off the Hub, Spindle, Drum (in my case) and the backing plate. Then the axle just pulls out. When you put it back in there is a inner seal that has a funnel shape that guides the axle back into the carrier.
The only thing that I saw that may concern me is I had the diff cover off at the same time and when the axle goes back into place, it brought some junk with it.

I hope this helps

Lunatic
Home Page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The spindle will come off...contrary to what it has told you. Sometimes I use a cold chisel at the base to seperate it from the knuckle. Once you get the axleshaft out the fun begins. Getting those damn axle u-joints out sucks! There are a couple of retaining clips on the inside of the yoke ears holding the u-joint in place. You gotta knock those out before you can press/hammer/cuss the u-joint out. Replace the u-joint with a Napa Super Strength their more $ ($16-18), but they're alot stronger (IMHO).
Shain

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help all . I got them out Ok , but had to get the new ones pressed in or I should say get the old ones pressed out . Wow , wouldnt even move . I do see the concern with getting dirt on the ends of the shafts when I slide them back into the tubes. I`ll have to come up with some great idea for that one .

Jeff

Jeff 1979 CJ5 /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be sure to check out the torrington bearing in the spindle. Where the axle
goes in the center of the spindle. I think alot of people over look these bearings.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can easily build an effective tool for scraping the accumulated mud (dust) out of the axle tubes. Just fabricate a scraper from a piece of metal half-moon shaped and and pretty close to the ID of the axle tube. Attach it to a piece of threaded rod.

Tim Kirby

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.