Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I swapped in a drum brake front axle in my jeep,
now i'm thinking about adding a hand operated parking brake to it. Just Because, one of those to see if i can projects. the only big (possible dangerous) problem i can think of is the cables could bind or snag on something while steering, possibly engaging the brake/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif.

what are your thoughts?

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

G

·
Only thing I can see is cost, possible safety concerns as you stated and absolutely no reason to have one. Only three reasons to use an emergency brake. First is to keep the veh from rolling while it is stopped. Usually leaving it in gear will accomplish this. Second, to hold the veh while you let the clutch out while starting on an incline. Back emergency brake is adaquate for this purpose. Third to stop a veh that has lost hydraulics to the brakes. In this case the solid cable to the rear brakes over rides the lack of fluid and stops the veh. How many times has this ever happened to you? I've been driving about 50 years and can recall using the emergency brake for this purpose, but I knew before I ever started that the veh had no brakes. 'course I used the emergency for a fourth purpose too - turn the wheel, hit the emergency and slide around in a circle. Can't do that with a front wheel emergency brake either. No, just can't see any reason for the front emergency brake at all, but then there are probably a hand full of people out there that can't see any reason for a Jeep either. I think that if I had to chose a veh with the addition of a front wheel emergency brake or no emergency brake at all, would probably pick the latter. Don't use it that much.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
A front parking brake would be real handy for pickups. Think about it. You put the truck in Park & it locks the rear wheels. Put on the brake & it further locks the same wheels. Meanwhile, nothing will stop the fronts. So, if you're loading a trailer & the tongue lifts up on the back of your pickup, guess what! That's right, we're movin'!!! There are of course ways around this (like putting the truck in 4wd if it has it, locking the trailer brakes, chocking the wheels, or jackstands under the rear of the trailer). Still, an extra brake would be handy.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Good point. How many people does it take, BTW, to hold the tongue down on that trailer long enough to get it hooked up to the trailer hitch??? /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifIf I wuz you, I would take Lee's advice, and install a Mico-Lock on the front axle. That would satisfy your sense of technical adventure, and would augment the rear parking brake as an entirely auxillary system. It's simple, easy to install, and will give you the toy to play with that nobody else has on their Jeep. Remember, when it comes to Jeeps, the rule is: "If it came with it, CHANGE it; if it didn't have one ADD ON." My crack team of moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif is constantly following those directions as they inch closer to completion on the SNOJEEP project./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.