Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a reverse grind Dana 60 from the front of a F-350. Has any body cut the center section from one of these, and moved it to the rear? What tubes would you use? I would like to use a Scout's 44 tubes, and make it semi-float, with the stock 35 spline axles, or would it be better to go with something heavier. Should I remove the existing tubes from the housing, and try to press in new ones, or should I cut and wield the fubes that are already in this thing?

G

·
A friend of mine that lives in Woodland has one of those a local shop made for him. It looks like they completely retubed it and he had Summers
make him some custom shafts. It seems to me, the easiest way would be to buy a core 60 rear with the same size tubes and just butt weld
the tubes. It sounds like a hack, but I've seen it done successfully. Since you probably have access to a good size press, maybe you could
retube them with the tubes from the core rear 60.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Terry L. Howe http://www.off-road.com/~txh3202

G

·
The dana 60 has at least 3-3 1/4 inch diameter tubes so I wouldn't use a lesser tube like that from a 2 1/2 inch housing. The long side could be cut with a new competition engineering end installed for a dana 60, or you could butt weld a end from whatever tube you wanted as long as the diameters were the same. The short side could be done by adding to the tube and I would recommend sleeving it as it would be in the center of the tube, and installing the other new end. Or you could just send it to Moser engineering and let them do it for you. I would certainly recommend there axles--35 spline with a 10 year guar. for $295. They can even fix you up with new ends to weld on. Hope this helps, Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.