Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
Probably a stupid question, but it is my first and absolutely not my last. I just bought a 79 cj 7 two weeks ago and I'm starting the restore process.

I noticed that the rear wheels look closer together than the front? Is this true? and how can I make the back wheels "stick out" as far as the front?

Thanks guys, and be nice, I'm learning!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
It is standard that the front track width be wider than the rears. Must be some engineering requisite. Maybe to help with turning or handling? You would have to either build custom axles or use offset rims in the rear to make them even. I've had both and don't really notice a difference in the way the jeep handles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do most owners just leave it along then? Maybe with a little larger tire it would be so noticeable. The front are just about flush with the fender flares and the back are set it, so it catches your eye.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
On mine is it just the opposite. I have a widetrack CJ front axle and a narrow track wagoneer rear axle. The difference is 1" per side. Still hardly noticable. If you want it the same, you can buy some spacers from poison spider or perfermance wheel. It isn't a big deal though to be different.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information guys. I think I'll just leave it alone. When I'm done fixing it up, if it bothers me then I'll get some spacers, I dont want to get wheels that have a deeper dish, because I wouldn't be able to rotate them.

Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
This thread brings up a good question.

Many, if not most, solid axle 4x4s are wider in the front than the rear as they come from the factory.

WHY !?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have heard and thought a couple different things.
And they might all be wrong.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

1)
Wider front helps stability and improves turning radius.

2)
2 different track widths helps keep it from cutting in it's own ruts. IOW rear follows a different path and gets a bite of fresh ground.

3)
If the front fits through something. (Between the proverbial rock and a hard spot) the rear should make it too. Even if allowing for a little turn going through the obstacle. If the rear were wider, it would get hung on a lot of stuff.

I have seen the logic in all of these. And seen it make a difference in practice. But that might just be a bonus.

Does anyone REALLY KNOW the answer to WHY?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Inquiring minds want to know.
And so do I.

·
Registered
304 Posts
How wide is to wide?

I have a wide track CJ7 and I want to put a waggy front 44 on it, from what I can tell it should be 3" wider than stock. How much difference will this make?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
530 Posts
WT CJ = 55"
Waggy Front ~~ 59-60"

Waggy D44 front under a CJ you will have to outboard the springs or narrow the axle so yeah, it will make a big difference.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Guess I need to change the rear axle also eh?

Read somewhere that a 9" out of a mid 70's 1/2 ton will be the right width, any truth to that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts