Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My jeep quit running on the way home from work. When I pulled over I found that the stock wire for the coil had fried. It is the red wire with the white trace on it. I just did the TFI coil upgrade last weekend and today I fined that the wire insulation had melted and I guess it got hot enough that it just broke in two. Does anyone know what might have caused this? Anyone else had this problem after the TFI install? Any suggestion ion how to prevent it from happening again? Also when I got home and turned the key off I got run on and the engine would not stop until I seperated the two halves of the coil wire that fried.

I need to get my jeep back on the road by tomorrow so any help is greatly appreciated. I'm going to splice on a new piece of wire to fix it for right now but I need make sure that this won't happen again.

Thanks for all the help. als.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif I sort of sounds like you may have the red wire that connects from the coil to the solenoid on the wrong solenoid post. That's just a guess./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CJDAve I did nothing to the wire that is connected the the solenoid. All I did was remove the red wire from the plactic housing used for the stock coil and conneced to the connector I got from the junkyard for the TFI coil. I did notice upon further investigation that the wire for the coil and the wire to the solenoid both junction at the same point. In fact the wire to the solenoid also fried and it is connected to the right post.

Thanks for the help. als.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the red wire on mine was in really bad condition...it came apart down by the selenoid while i was sodering in the new connector so I just kept on sodering. after peeling back the plastic tube and looking at the harness i about cried looking at the condition it was in/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
-Marky

80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a similar problem with run-on after doing the TFI upgrade. If my idle was set high, roughly 800 to 1000 rpm, it would not stop when I turned the key off. I would get a bit of a miss but it would just keep on running, had to unplug coil to stop it. I set the idle lower and it worked ok.

Kevin Low
84 CJ7, TFI, 33 MT, Rancho 9000, 2.5" BDS
SE Michigan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.