Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess what I'm getting for my Birthday? You're right, a winch. Now I just need to decide which one. I have a YJ and the plan is to mount it on the front.
This is where I need your help. Tell me what you like, why, what other hardware I'll need and where is the best place to order it.

Thanks in advance,
Adrian

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i personally like the upright winches. Only because that is what i own. I have the old A$$ bellvue but the 8274 is still one hell of an winch.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Warn makes a variety of winches in a variety of configurations. I wouldn't buy any other brand. My 15 year old Warn is still going strong, just needs a new cable finally. BTW, most of the Warns will pull stronger than advertised, my 6K pulls so well I've only used the snatch block twice.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Get an 8274 and be happy.

Or maybe the new M15000, that would be nice.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Re: Ramsey

Yes some wreckers/rollbacks use a ramsey winch. But 99% are hydrulic. I have seen one to many ramsey die. I have see warns die too. There are a lot more warns out there then ramseys. I am not saying ramsey is a bad winch but i dont like them personally.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Typically, businesses do not buy the very best. They buy the very cheapest required to accomplish the job. As a business owner, I know that my employees will abuse my property because they didn't pay for it and it's fun to abuse someone else's stuff.

My vote is for a Warn 8274 if you want electric. Mine is at least 20 years old and still strong.

Joey

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Businesses do buy the best when they can, they know it's cheaper in the long run. Also, knowing the equipment will get abused, and they don't want to buy multiple winches, they get the best they can afford.

I have a Ramsey I bought used, and based on it's abuse, I'd buy another in a minute.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One caution about getting TOO much winch. A number of years back I saw a CJ with a 12K Warn hook up to a PU that was stuck, and used the snatch block, what 24k did to the frame on that CJ wasn't pretty. The truck was stuck in suction smelly clay, backhoes and tractors had previously tried to extract it.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also just got the Warn HS9500i and I gotta tell ya, that is one strong and fast winch. Although, if I had the buckets, I probably would have gotten the 8274.

G-Man
If you don't like the way I'm living, you can just leave this long-haired country boy alone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you ever see a fast rollback ? ...nope
8274 warn is what I'd buy, mine is almost 20 years old. I have passed-up some great deals on new ones, but I just don't need to replace it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Go with Ramsey, My friend and I run Ramsey winches with no problems,
My friend runs a RE12000 on the front of his Fj40 and a REP8000 on the
rear. I run a Pro Plus 9000 and we have put them to good use with no problems.
Plus they are a lot less costly than the Warn winches.
Just my $.02

Wayne

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Okay, I'm still a little shocked you're getting a winch for your birthday!! Anybody else a little shocked by this? My birthday is coming up and I'll be lucky if I get 1 Rancho 9000;)

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifEat, Sleep, JEEP/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44 w/Detroits and 4.56 soon to go in SOA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Geez....you guys are greedy....a winch, an RS9000!!! What kind of people buy these things for you...

My next birthday, i'd be happy with a handshake and a free drink....which would be more than i got last yer!

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm disappointed, when I saw the headline, free winch, I thought someone was giving one away.... I just bought a warn 8274, but can say how it works yet, gotta build a bumper that'll hold it.

46cj2a beater and pile 0 parts.
75 cherokee parts pile

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.