Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on PartsMike w/no response so I'm trying here.

>New questions. I am hoping to start a frame-off resto of my '77 CJ-7 in the next month and have been debating on getting new lift springs (ie. Skyjacker 2/15", Warn Black Diamond 3" or Superlift Softride Lift Kits) or just replacing mine with new OEM springs. I currently have worn out OEM heavy duty springs and can replace these w/OEM HD springs, 7 leafs in front, 9 in rear. A local Jeep parts dealer says I could fit 33" tires with the these, since mine are so old and worn and these would return my Jeep to original height. I will also run a 1" body lift. The other option is to buy 2.5 - 3" lift springs. The only reason I like the stock spring option is they have many more leaves than most lift kits, are military wrapped at both ends and would presumably give me a better ride. What do you all think? This is all for a '77 CJ-7, w/304, Qtrac, TH400auto, hardtop in the winter, no/or bikini top in summer. It will be a daily driver with occasional off-roading. Mostly on muddy trails, some rocks. But hopefully eventually more extreme. Likely only go to 33 x 12.50 tires.
Thanks for any advice.
rich

fratt

·
Registered
167 Posts
If the number of leaves per pack is your main concern, contact someone like National Spring (619) 441-2460 to have them built to your specs. It's pricey, but you get what you are after. You could also add leaves to the pack to get the desired # and ride. Presumably, military wrap type springs help somewhat with axle wrap, if that's a problem, and can serve to get you home should your main spring break.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard great things about National but they are cost prohibitive. I tried that number you posted but it was a fax line. Do you have the voice number or does anyone else have a good number. I want to call and see just how costly they are.
thanks

fratt

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My brother had a jeep identical to yours, except it was a '76, and he opted for the Skyjacker 4" lift. Rode pretty good, was a lot less
bouncy than my BDS 4". His produced some pretty good travel too, but you may get more travel out of the OEM's with a shackle
lift and the body lift to clear the tires. If you want to know what your's will look like with a 4" lift and 33x12.5, go to
http://home.HiWAAY.net/~suckowe/mike.htm

Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp, 3" body, 33's, 283 Chevy V8, TH350, 4.11's, D30, D35c

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
>New questions. I am hoping to start a frame-off resto of my '77 CJ-7 in the next month and have been debating on getting new lift springs (ie. Skyjacker 2/15", Warn Black Diamond 3" or Superlift Softride Lift Kits) or just replacing mine with new OEM springs. I currently have worn out OEM heavy duty springs and can replace these w/OEM HD springs, 7 leafs in front, 9 in rear. A local Jeep parts dealer says I could fit 33" tires with the these, since mine are so old and worn and these would return my Jeep to original height.

You can cheat a bit since you have narrow track axles, but 33's really aren't realistic for actual use off road without a lift.

>I will also run a 1" body lift. The other option is to buy 2.5 - 3" lift springs. The only reason I like the stock spring option is they have many more leaves than most lift kits,

That's really meaningless other than for HD use. Multiple leaves are only better ride & flex wise if they are multiple THIN leaves like what National Spring produces.

>are military wrapped at both ends

Definite plus, but there are lift springs that are military wrapped as well.

>and would presumably give me a better ride.

Nope. Get yourself a good 2.5" suspension lift (I like Superlift's Super-ride for decent inexpensive springs) and some good shocks like Doetsch Tech, Trailmaster SSV, Rancho RS9000, etc. I forget which manufacturers offer military wrapped springs...I think BDS does and they're supposed to have very good springs with a lifetime warranty and they're usually packaged with Trailmaster SSV shocks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.