Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally found a frame for my '77 CJ-7! Yeah. Well, I haven't bought it yet. I have a couple of questions. The yard has 2 to pick from. One is a pre-'77, not fully boxed frame. It looks OK, but lots of surface rust. It was up on top of 2 other cars so I wasn't able to fully inspect it yet. The 2nd is a later model, fully boxed, and seems to be in good condition but will need some welding done. The front spring perches and shackle hangers have been moved outboard the frame so I will need to move them back to original. Also, there are 2 cuts, one on each side of the inner frame rails. It is where someone was planning on putting in a crossmember for some tranny. They are only about 6" long and don't seem to be affecting any seams or strength. They should be fixable with some plate reinforcements. Any advice on which one to buy?
Finally I will need to completely strip the frame and paint/rustproof it. I have read a lot of ya'lls web pages but have not found out how to clean/prep/strip the inside of the frame or how to recoat the inside. I don't want a repeat of my current frame, major cancer from within. Any and all advice would be appreciated. I know many of you have done this so there is a plethora of info out there, please give it to me! : ) Sorry for the long post.
Thanks,
rich
77jc7304QtracTH400

fratt

·
Registered
586 Posts
First off, if the frame is not boxed is probally isn't a CJ7 frame. I thought CJ7's started in 76 and 76 and up frames are boxed. Second the 76 and up frames are significantly stronger. Areas to inspect closely are where the front back spring perch is located. V8 engines tended to torque the frame in that area and cause breaks. I recently striped and paint from my frame and after I cut the rust out I had plenty of room to reach inside with a big sloppy brush or rag on a stick and attempt to paint the interior.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pigpen,
I am pretty certain that they are both CJ-7 frames. The one that's not fully boxed has what's left of a CJ-7 body on it. The only difference is that the rear section, behind the rear spring perches is a C channel, not boxed. As I understand it this was changed for the 1977 model. Otherwise the frame is boxed from this point forward and identical to the fully boxed frame. I guess I'll take a better look at the spot you mentioned behing the front spring perches. The perches on there now are mounted outside the frame rail w/a peice of angle iron welded to the frame. The guy at the yard had started a build up with wider axles but never finished it. Thanks for the reply.
rich

fratt

G

·
I just started a frame up restore of my 82 CJ7. When I had the frame sandblasted I had the guy try to get the inside of the frame rails as much as possible. Since the rear crossmember if off, I also stood the frame on it's end and banged on it to get the larger chunks out. I now plan on under coating the inside.JC Whitney has a undercoating gun for $36 that has a 20" flexible shaft. With that I should be able to stick it the various holes and get the entire inside.

G

·
I am in the process of frame up on my Commando.It too has a boxed frame.Had it sand blasted.Getting the residual sand out was a pain.I used a high quality enamal paint after priming.Thinned the primer and paint enough to use a pump-up bug sprayer to coat the inside.Think it did a good job.After I figured it was coated good inside,I redid it to make sure.Rustoleum uses fish oil in their enamel paints.It was originally developed for naval ships.Good stuff!

Drayson

·
Registered
586 Posts
For coating I used this POR-15 stuff from 4wheel hardware. The stuff can be applied over rust or whatever. It didn't stick that well to fresh or sandblasted metal. However on rust of uneven surfaces the stuff works great. Don't get it on your self, it is very hard to get off. Also areas in contact with the sun be to be overcoated with reg paint. Sun produces a chemical breakdown.

G

·
After i rebuilt my cj-7 I came up with an idea I would have done if I had it down to the frame again. I would seal all the little holes with small plates welded over them to keep moisture out, and then I would pour a quart of oil in each frame rail. This would keep rust from forming from the inside out.. Just a crazy idea that might just work.

Jesse

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.