Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found something we haven\'t discussed

OK, Jamgood was saying the board was slow, I said we must have talked about everything. Here's something we never discussed.
Anyone ever try to swap a Saab 96 2 cycle engine into a Jeep? It would sound like a giant ATV. UNIQUE. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
And if you remember Saab 96s you are showing your age.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Re: Found something we haven\'t discussed

Aren't they the 3 cyl ones? That would be a cool swap.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

You would have horsepower, but man the torque would be on the short side. Definitely a unique a sound. I am not sure where you would go for the bellhousing. I don't think that even Rube would have one for that/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yeah, I think they were 3 cyl if I remember right. I had a friend in Safford, Az about 10 years ago that had one, used to drive it around town, people would look at him like he was from Mars. It would probably be pretty cool in something like a flattie.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

Most Saab 96's used a 4 cylinder Ford tractor engine that used the same bolt pattern as the 2.8 and 2.9l V-6 Ford engines. So i guess that a Ranger's tranny should work. The Saab 95's were the same, but station wagon. The 93's are the Sonett's, which are the same drivetrain, but with a lower ratio ring and pinion. I think that the 2 cycle 3 cylinder Saabs used the same bolt pattern, as the V-4's. This is because the "free wheeling" sprag in the tranny was disigned to prevent oil starvation during compression braking of the 2 stroke engine. I really never screwed with the 2 strokes too much, but I have friends with them.

I have made excellent money rebuilding Saab trannys, both the 900's and the older 96's. I think you should be able to bolt it to a Ranger's tranny, but it would have high horses, and very low torque.

I worked at a Saab shop for 7 years. I have had 8 Saabs, currently a nice 900 turbo convertable. I used to have a Sonett with a 2.8 V-6 Ford.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This is somewhat different, but I have an old Four Wheeler magazine somewhere that has a flatfender with a Honda Gold Wing engine in it. That's the most unique swap I have seen yet.

'75 CJ5 with goodies

·
Registered
3,932 Posts

Let's see someone dump a Honda Insight engine(can you call it that) in their Jeep. Or build your own custom electric one. That'd be cool. See a big 'ole Jeep going down the street, not making a damn noise.

Now search friendly!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts