Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks Shorts, but no, I found a spare tire THAT MORNING. I called around discount tire stores and so, nobody had a 33" when all of a sudden I found this place called "clicks" back in the hillbilly part of houston, in the sticks...haha anyway, The guy had two used BFG all terrains, told me they had good tread on them, I got there and they were both totally bald, so i thought great, but as I started walking out the door i tripped over a tire, and behold, a 33in Bridgestone Mud Terrain. about 99.9% tread left! I think there was like a light shining down on it from above. angels singing in the background....hahaha but anyway, guy sold it to me for $35, took my old 265 off the rim, put the new tire on, balanced and did all the stuff, checked it for leaks (baptized it) all for 35 bucks......well gee, my day STARTED out good ;) I will soon have it mounted at a 45* angle in the bed, after my truck gets out of the shop that is....

-Ryan S- 1994 Chevy Z-71 TwoTone Navy/Silver, 33in BFG Mud Terrains. Custom Flowmaster Dual Exhaust. K&N system. Custom Kenwood/Rockford Fosgate system, two 12" Rockford HE subs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ryan - did you get a mount already? are you buying one or making one? i want to do the same b/c i currently dont have one in my truck its in the garage. i cant decide where i want to mount it though so it wont be in the way. thanks and post pics when you get it done please

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mount that i've found is from 4wheelparts. I believe it runs about 180 bucks, I have a friend that works for Oreilly auto parts and I believe he can hook me up with some sort of discount deal if he buys from them. But i'll post pics asap as soon as I get it done, the wreck has kind of postponed a few of my mod plans ;)

-Ryan S- 1994 Chevy Z-71 TwoTone Navy/Silver, 33in BFG Mud Terrains. Custom Flowmaster Dual Exhaust. K&N system. Custom Kenwood/Rockford Fosgate system, two 12" Rockford HE subs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats cool. just an idea for getting the truck fixed, lots of times, insurance companies will have you take it somewhere and get a written estimate and then send you a check for that amount. take it to a dealer and get an estimate to repair it cause it will be the highest of anywhere. then have a good body shop do the work and that way you will have extra money to do some mods while youre at it. i have a friend who got his 90 c1500 street truck rearended and the insurance wanted to total it. he convinced them not to, then got a check for dealers estimate (a LOT!) and he rebuild the entire truck with the money! turned out sweet!! good luck

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
When you say a 33" do you mean another 285 or a 33x12.5? Just curious. You had me confused with your signature until you said another time that they were 285's.

Are you choosing the 45 degree mount because you like it or because that is all there is? Just wondering. I recently saw a mount in a Cabela's catalauge that mounted vertically to the interior side of your bed. So it stood your spare up straight, and took up a lot less room in the bed. Basically they made what I have been planning out for my first pickup./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif The Cabela's thing is only like $25 too.

Just a thought.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If i'm correct, and i'm not totally sure but this is what i've found in my research...but a 285/75/16 tire is equivalent to a 33", it actually comes out to like 33.1 or something inches, at least thats what i've come to understand, I say I have 33's because its just easier to say that instead of hey i have TWO EIGHTY FIVE SEVENTY FIVE SIXTEENS haha get my drift ;) Annnndd, I like the 45* angle mount because it looks [email protected]$$. those vertical mounts remind me of like a really old farm truck when they're mounted to the side vertically, but thats just my opinion. I think the 45* mount looks more like a baja race deal. ;)

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
You are mostly correct. A 285/75R16 is about the same height as a 33x12.5R15, usually they run a bit higher though. When someone doesn't understand what a 285/75R16 is, I just tell them I have 33x11.25R16 tires. Makes it easier for them. A touch taller than most 33x12.5R15's and about 1.25" narrower.
My trucks are function first with form a close second, so I dislike those Baja looking tire mounts. Take up to much bed space, yet I don't like having a tire below the bed. No fun digging around underneath the truck when the bed is 6" above the mud./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif My buddy and I were actually going to try and fab up a bed mount like I described for his Toyota, but then we saw the exact same thing in Cabelas. Considering we had no idea how to make the frigging thing, he just spent the money and ordered one of those./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
788 Posts
About the 285/75/16 vs 33x11.25....
I currently have the 285's on a 16x8 wheel. They look plenty tall, but I want something wider. I do have the 4" Trail Master lift.

How do the 315/75/16's compare?
Just curious

1994 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT. Soon to have 4" lift

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
315/75R16 is a 35x12.5R16 basically. They are usually about the same height as a 35x12.5R16, but maybe a little bit narrower. Won't fit with your lift.

A 305/70R16 is what you want. Basically a 33x12R16. 33" tall, and they range from 12" to 12.5" wide, depending on manufacturor. Would work good with your lift and rims.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AJM im the same way. thats why i was asking ryan about the mount. i too like the baja look of the 45* mounts but i cant have something in the middle of my bed like that. thats why if i did that, i would make one that i could move when i needed too. my other option is the side mount like you were talking about, but they just dont look as cool, i dunno /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I leave the spare loose in the bed. It makes a great weight for some loads and is easily relocated for the akward loads. When I haul loads, I use the tire as a tie-down point on top of the stack and, in the event that it should happen, the spare is on top of the load so you don't have to load and unload the pick-up to change the tire. For me, function is way ahead of form, even though it usually works out that form is related to function for me.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, nich - thats what i was going to do, but im afraid some a-hole would steal it. you never know around here - theyll steal ANYTHING. for short term at least, im just gonna run by the hardware store and get a length of chain and a padlock. long term....who knows

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

·
Registered
788 Posts
AJM, Thanks for the tire info. It all gets so confusing, but I think I am starting to get it figured out. The hardest part is figuring out what will fit the wheel/lift combo.

Thanks again

1994 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT. Trailmaster 4" lift

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is even a way to make one cheaper than the Cabelas ones. On my 86 the spare hung from below. What you do is take that carrier out from under there and you should have a long piece of metal with an L shape towards the middle? Well some where there is an L that comes of the spare carrier. Take a hack saw or what ever and cut off right below the L. And I mean right below if not right behind the L. That L is now your mounting bracket for the bed. If there is meatal hanging below it could prolly rub a hole or something. Measure up from the bed to the bed rail top and cut that carrier to the same length. Then krylon and bolt that sob in there.

Do you understand what I'm saying? I probably made it confusing./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
949 Posts
AJM,
Another option is to scour a few junkyards for a K5 with the optional inside the truck spare carrier. It bolts to the bed rail (over the top) and to the floor of the bed.

'78 Chevy Blazer w/300hp Goodwrench 350, SM465, NP205 T-case.
'61 Willys Utility Wagon w/Chevy 350, TH350 ,NP203 T-case, and a broken Ford 9" /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Good ideas guys. You could use a K5 Blazer or Jimmy's inside mount for a 73-87(91) pickup or a Blazer/Jimmy/Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban's inside mount for a 88-98(99) pickup.

Thought about the reusing the under bed unit:
Would it have enough room being mounted under the bed rail like that to fit 33" or taller tires?

Depending on how much work is involved or how much I had to pay to get the inside mount, I would consider just paying the $25 for the Cabela's doo-hickey. Moot point anyways, I don't own a pickup and my first one is a ways off anyways.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I test fit my tire up in the bed against the bed rail it would only fit in front of the wheel wells. You couldn't put it behind them by the tail gate. There just wasn't enough room. Now if you didn't use your tail gate that would be a different story. It would fit but with a few inches past where the gate was. I'm thinking about 3-6" if memory serves me correct. The tire I test fit was my spare 35X12.5 BFG.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.