Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forget selling the York...I\'m going to install on board air!

Since I have come across this York compressor along with the right bracket for my 258, I'm just going to install on board air.
The whole setup is coming off a 77 AMC Matador with a 258 so everything is bolt on my 78 CJ also with a 258. Do you guys
have any pointers to share before I jump into it? Let me know. Thanks guys!

Alec
(soon to have on board air)

G

·
Re: Forget selling the York...I\'m going to install on board air!

Make sure you get a upper rad hose for a cj with A/C from autozone or the like. Many of the big parts stores only have one hose. I have an 80, did the same thing. I had to get a hose from an 84, Guess they didnt make the 80 with A/C. Also, The first time I mounted it, I was one hole off and the hose wouldn't fit. Mine had 2 sets of holes to mount the compressor to the bracket. I had to use the holes furthest to the pass side away from the block.
Good Luck
Bill

G

·

All right, Robert87yj....tell me how you did that and I tell you how my MPI worked out. I am now in the search for the 4.0L head to finish the job. Email me if you want the details.

G

·

I don't actually like the York compressor. You should run a Sanyo, which is piston driven, and will give you more performance and it's quieter!

G

·

Glad to see the tip about getting an upper radiator hose from an A/C equipped CJ. I was going to ask a question about that this morning. I mounted my brackets and compressor last night and the upper hose is only about 1/2" from the A/C pulley. I had to use the holes closest to the engine as the pulley would otherwise hit part of the mounting bracket. How in the world do you tighten the belt which drives the alternator? The compressor is in a fixed position and so is the alternator. Does it tighten as you move the bracket that the alternator mounts in? I can't wait to have to change the spark plugs also. That number one plug wire is a b%^ch to get off now (no room) and the plug wont be accessible with a ratchet. Good thing spark plug sockets will take an open end wrench. I can't wait to get this all put together an operational!

G

·

Wilbur,

I'd love to know about your MPI Experieces. I am in the prep processes for my engine, paint put oil pan back on etc. The Jeep engine has taken a back seat to my brothers 71 chevy i-6 that threw a rod through the side of the engine, but the chevy is finaly done and I can now attend to my Jeep engine.
I would be greatful to know of any snags or problems that you ran into.

Now for the important stuff...how to make it clickable
use a url tag before and after the link as follows, just delete the underscores.

[_url_]http://206.190.221.134/air.htm[_/url_]

after deleting the underscores, the link will appear on the bbs like this
http://206.190.221.134/air.htm

now see if you can do it.

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI

G

·

Snowtow, I'm not sure what alt bracket you are using, but I used the factory bracket out of an AMC Eagle works great. Do you have the Idler pully mounted just above the H2O pump pulley?
I had the same probs with the spark plugs, but when I moved the compressor out, the extra one inch or so made a BIG difference.

Bill
PS. Done welding the spring pads and we'll see what happens in the AM.

·
Registered
650 Posts

Just a note to all you guys doing, or thinking about the York installlation. I did mine last fall, and also ran into the problem with the upper radiator hose being too close to the compressor pully. I tried quite a few different hoses, and still never liked the lack of clearance I was able to get. The solution for me was to raise the radiator in the grill. My grill has 2 sets of mounting holes for the radiator, all I had to do was move the clip-on nutplates up to the next set and I gained about an inch of clearance...
Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.