Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I believe that the T176 Jeep trans has the same bolt pattern as Ford. Your biggest problem will be oil pan clearance at the sump.

80 CJ5, 52M38

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Man!! How long is Ford going to be dogged for their front sump oil pans??!

The T-176 bolts up nicley!!! just make sure you have the right depth bellhousing. I think it's 7 1/2". Works GREAT! I solved the oil pan problem by using a pan off a 5.0 Musang (available since '79!!). Use the Ford flywheel, and pressure plate, and pilot shaft bushing. Use Jeep clutch disk!!

Kick up some MAJOR dirt!! Nice straight forward swap!!! I love it!!Man!!

btw..... if you wanted you could use the oil pan from an older Ford van. It's more like a "middle" sump. But it will work just as well.

IN2DEEP 78 CJ5 302 FORD T176/D300 35" BFGS

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I think I may have missed part of your original question. I do not have any experience with the NP435. I used the bellhousing off of a stock three speed from a Ford F100. So I don't know that the bell from the NP435 will bolt to a T176. But there are bells out there that will work.

If you really want to be picky.... get a mid 60's bell from a 260. It is supposedly a slightly smaller diameter than the one I have. But these are getting pretty scarce.

GO BLUE OVAL!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am a little confused on what u are trying to do? why would you even need a t176 bell housing in the first place? if u want to run a 302 and np 435 you could try to get one that the np435 had on it in the first place, if it is there i believe you have a 50/50 chance it is for a 302 if it is not the bell housing is for a big block ford! Are you forgeting one thing? Just I reminder you will still need to buy a transfer case adapter? or AM i forgetting somthing?
andy

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
He's trying to use a Ford bell on a T176 to hook up to the 302. The T176 bolts directly to a Dana 300. No adapters needed. Just factory Ford parts.

I'm thinking the NP435 only came with a divorced transfer cases in Fords. Is this correct? Should I be looking for yet ANOTHER transmission for my Jeep?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My bad i did not read the post carefully! I thought i read some where that would work. but the T176 is not the best tranny for a V8, but they did come behind 360s. The np 435 does not have a divorced mounted t/c the np435 is one hell of a tranny, the nv4500 has it beat cause of its overdrive but the np435 has its advantage just as easy to find if not easy. you do not have to just go to a junkyard to get a np435 (that is one of the only place you will find a nv4500 unless u buy new) you can also buy np435 out of a driving ford f150s (not sure years) for cheap money and chances are u will have a spare 302 kicking around to boot!
just some thoughts
Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input,
I have a GM151/T-176/D300 in the scrambler right now. I have a 302 out of a grand marquis in the garage with all the wiring, computer stuff, etc. I was thinking about getting another transmission but it seems like I will be spending a lot of money on something I will probably upgrade in a few years anyways, also, there is no guarentee the swapped in tranny will be problem free unless it's new anyways.
My question is this: Will the flywheel off a 302 with an auto tranny work or do I need one off a manual?

Here are the basic parts I think I need. Let me know if I am forgetting anything important:
1. 302 with all brackets, harness, etc...
2. Bellhousing to match 302 and T-176
3. Engine mounts (I will probably go with the Z and M bolt in mounts)
4. Flywheel??? Which one should I get
5. Clutch???

Bakes
83 Scrambler
http://www5.ewebcity.com/4x4trails

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You will need a manual tranny's flywheel, pressure plate, and pilot shaft bushing. Use the clutch from the Jeep.

The oil pan on the Grand Marquis is a rear sump pan (what you need). Nice bonus!!

If you go with a carb you won't need a harness. Just use the stock altenator in the Ford altenator brackets. You guages will work if you get senders from an older Ford...... may I suggest an F100?? ha ha....

Exhaust is the toughest part. I used the manifolds from the F100. The manifolds from your Grand Marquis interfere with the clutch linkage. You will also need the pivot point for the clutch from the ford truck. It will need to be modified a little. Same with the bellcrank. Just get the one from the F100 and switch the arms from it to the stock Jeep bellcrank.

The Jeep uses a ford ignition from the factory. Your Grand Marquis distributor will not hook up to the module. But if you get one from a mid 70's 302, you can plug it right in..... no brainer!! Woo!! Hoo!!

So....Just find you a '77 - 83? F100 for a couple hundred dollars and steal as much as possible. Then part out the rest (getting your money back) .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I definately plan on using the EFI, I'm tired of screwing around with carbs. As far as the ignition and stuff I plan on using everything out of the marquis and taking everything out of the Jeep. I think in the long run it will be easier to swap everything rather than try ang mix and match things. What mods do I need to do to the clutch pivot point and bell crank? I am planning on using the alternator and power steering pump that are already on the 302, any probs with that? Also, what driveline mods are needed(i.e. Xfer case moved??) Thanks for all the info.

Bakes
83 Scrambler
http://www5.ewebcity.com/4x4trails

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Wow??!! Good luck with the EFI. Let me know how it comes out. I think you need to add an electric fuel pump for that. The Grand Marquis has no allowance for a mechanical pump.

The clutch pivot point on the Ford mounts to the back of the bellhousing (at the top where it bolts to the block). But the pivot needs to be moved forward about 1" to line up with the pivot point on the jeep tub. The bellcrank for the Ford and Jeep are very similar in design. I just had the arms cut off of the Ford and welded onto the Jeep bellcrank in the original Jeep positions. The Ford arms are longer. The Jeep arms won't line up with the clutch fork. Plus the longer arms give you a little more leverage..... easier pedal.

I was wanting to use the Ford altenator as well. But after scratching my head for a couple of weeks trrying to decypher the wiring diagrams I went with the stock altenator. It bolts into the Ford brackets pretty easy (unless you are trying to keep the serpentine belt).

The p/s pump will work from the Ford. The lines bolt right up. The problem with it is that the Grand Marquis has a little more room under the hood. The p/s bracket is pretty wide to the driver's side. I ended up shortening my brackets to get it to fit. Plus, I swapped pulleys to a v-belt pulley.

There are no driveline mods required. just leave the tranny in the jeep and work everything forward from there. Keeps everything nice and stock in the interior.

One work of caution: If you are going to "take everything out of the jeep" I would do it methodically and carefully. Disconnect everything properly and hold onto it until you are finished with your swap. You'll be amazed how many times you change directions before you are done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe Ford Motorsports has a "stand Alone" wiring harness for 302 EFI swaps. This would make life easier!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bakes5, I see from your profile that your Scrambler is a 83. If it's stock I think your tranny is a T-4. That was the standard tranny with the GM 4 cyl with the T-5 optional.The SR-4 was the earlier standard tranny. My books been wrong before but in dealing with 3 CJs with the 4 cyl all I have seen are 2 SR-4's and one 904 auto.

Bob

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
A "stand alone" wiring harness for EFI swaps?? That's a tasty morsal!! Care to elaborate?? You know...... a little help!!

You sure know how to tease.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.