Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford 9\" questions

I have purchased an early model ford 9" with 28 spline axles. I have been unable to determine whether this will be of acceptable strength to place under my jeep wrangler with a detroit. Currently I have a 4 cylinder, but am planning to swap in a 4.0L I-6. Anyone have real-world experience as to the strength of this axle setup?

thanks

Matt

Never under-estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Ford 9\" questions

the 28 spl 9in is a good differential. but since you are going to buy a detroit for it, why not spend an extra couple of dollars and make it 31spl. all you would have to buy extra is a set of axles. IMO this would much better in the long run with the lock in terms of durability. these were run behind some pretty good v8s with a very good track record.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

If you really want to do it right, beef up the housing and tubes in addition to the axle shafts. The 9" is a good axle, not perfect. The D44 is a good axle, not perfect. The D60 is a good axle, not perfect etc., etc. All of them could use some custom mods to make them better. Different mods for different axles. ALL the axles are stronger with the largest axle shaft - a no brainer. The 9" suffers in two areas. First is the low pinion and second is the housing and tube strength. Extreme articulation and inappropriate power at the wrong time can bend the axle. Can't do anything about the pinion placement, but you can reinforce the housing and tubes. A truss, done properly, is the answer.
And, like none are perfect, different axles have different positives too. In case of the 9" it is stronger overall than D35 and can be modified to be even stronger. The internal gearing can be changed very quickly by removing the entire third member and replacing it with another that is set up differently. This is a real advantage in race cars, seldom used in off roading, and lastly the differential housing is steel as opposed to cast iron so it is easy to weld onto which makes the truss attachment much easier.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

You can do something about the low pinion on the 9" . Use the Currie high pinion 8.8". This is a custom dropout using the 8.8"
ring and pinion stuffed in a 9" housing. The big drawback to this is the kings ransom they charge for it.

Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.