Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a 9 inch rear axle, 52-53 inches wide with disc brakes for $100, but I dont want the low pinion in my CJ5

what does it take to make a high pinion 9 inch?
obviously the pinion bearing needs lube somehow, what else?

thanks

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a CJ rear seat

G

·
For future refrence it is a Lincon mark V rearend. And the bolt pattern is 5X5, not 5X5.5 like your Cj. I'm swapping one in right now, and its going great. I had to have custom axles made, and when funds are available, order the currie high pinion third member... That's all you need. You can't do it with the factory third member, because of oiling and gear problems... The currie member actually uses the R&P out of the new ford trucks (8.8 ring reverse cut) and runs the pinion higher in a custom case. But it will fit in that housing. The calipers were $70 a side with a $75 core charge, and the stock axles are 28 spline, so when getting the custom shafts, get 31 spline and spring for the detroit... I can give you the measurements, and any other info you want on the swap. - btw I paid $150 for mine, and its worth that and more. Actually, the yard had already sold the rear-end to another fellow for $250, and they let me walk with it, SO... I'd get it, the brackets alone are gold for anybody with a 9" that wants disk brakes...

I'd go for it.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much does the Currie Hi pinion 3rd memper cost?

and how strong is the 8.8?

Im liking it less and less...
i was tempted for the disc brakes and easy gear changes, but it sounds like lots of $$$

OzarkJeep

G

·
OzarkJeep,
It sure does sound like lots of money, but fear not, George (FLMudCJ) Has more than enough for everyone, dont you, George? I know you do...So how about loaning me that loot for the 5.5" Skyjacker lift for my Ram?? <wink>

-Mike

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
In reference to "how strong is the 8.8"

I've seen guys running them at the drag strip with 250 - 350 HP and they hold up unbelievably well. good, light weight rear end but yes, they are weaker than their 9" big brother.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
It'd probably be cheaper to get the hubs re-drilled for a 5X4.5 lug pattern, and drill out the rotors for the same... I wanted to match the front end, and X-mas got me 31-spline custom shafts... There's just no better way to go... The 8.8 is touted to be the same strength as the 9", and it also uses the same carrier components - So if you get the 31 spline axles now, you can use the detriot in both the 9" and the high pinion 8.8 saves money in the long run... I'm not sure on an exact price for the high pinion, but it is at least a thousand dollars. But its higher than a reverse cut D44 or D60.

I say you should go for it. The price is right, and even if the internals or axles or anything else isn't up to par, snag another 9" from the junk yard, have it narrowed etc, and use the disk brake brackets off this one...

To re-cap. easiest and cheapest way to get this under your jeep.

drill hubs and rotors for 5x4.5 lug pattern - $50 - $100 depending on where you go.

new brake components - $200

brackets and welding perches - $40

if you need R&P you don't need a case change, and if your planning on going highpinion, I'd get the cheapest set out there, and go from there...

$100 is a great price for the axle, and I'd jump on it b4 its gone.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help, im going to pick it up tomorow after work, but not for my JEEP

IM getting it for a friend of mine for his stock car..
I dont have the money to convert it to High pinion, and Hell hopefully end up building my Full rollcage down the road...

OzarkJeep

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.