Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford 8.8\" yoke question?

Is the yoke on a Ford 8.8" the same as the one on the Dana 35 in my TJ? How much longer will my driveshaft need to be for this swap?
Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Re: Ford 8.8\" yoke question?

The Ford 8.8 Yoke is 260% stronger than the D35's trouble prone yoke. The 8.8 uses a completely different set up with the yoke bolting to a splined mounting plate off of the pinion shaft. This way if you were to break the Yoke you dont have to mess with the Pinion Shaft Pre Load to exchange. It would be much, much harder to break this beefier yoke. Your current U joint however will bolt up to the 8.8 yoke. You may need to have your shaft shortened(the 8.8 is bigger and longer), unless its never been lengthened after a 4" lift. In any case it will bolt up and drive, youll just need to check that you have enough droop and compression slip in the shaft for your particular suspension. Lengthening and ballancing is usualy about $60 at a drive shaft shop. Here is a picture attachment of the 8.8 yoke, disc brakes, laid down shocks, and SOA install.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yeah I am most concerned with being able to make it home. I am considering the 8.8" swap after meeting someone this past weekend that has one fairly priced and can weld the TJ brackets onto it for me. It is a long drive but would be well worth it. If I can get it home the long drive then I will park it and get a SYE and new shaft right away anyway. Basically I just wanted to know if the ujoints were the same so my shaftg would bolt up to the 8.8 for the ride home.
Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Notice also how the mounting plate for the yoke offers some protection from objects being able to catch the yoke itself. Also the absence of any U bolts or clamps, it is a very solid one piece yoke. This set up employs compression C clips to retain the U joint at the pinion side,( the same as on the drive shaft yoke). Here's another shot of the yoke.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Obviously the next question I have is are the stock d35/8.8" ujoints strong enough?
Aaron

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Yes, the U joints Ive been told in this configuration should work fine. I have always thought that the U joints in the D35 were failing and taking the yoke out with it. But from talking to my drive line supplier he says its the combination of the D35 Yoke and its weak attachment to the U joint that starts the dommino affect leading to the U joint and Yoke failure. There are Beefier Yokes that can be attached to the pinion mounting plate though along with the use of a modified drive shaft, which is what I had planned to do untill the Guys at Drive Train Services advised me that the current yoke and U joint set up on the Explorer 8.8 could easily handle the 300 plus HP I am planning with the Ford 5.0 SVO Motor swap, and my 120:1 gear ratio. Time will tell, but there are options for more strength, if needed in the future.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Then I am sure that my 180HP I-6 and current 31"s (future 35"s) will be fine with the 8.8". What about the ebrake cable on my TJ matching up to the ebrakes on the 8.8"s calipers?
Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

The E brake is simple just a couple of spacers and it hooked up to the existing bridel for the D35 cables. The brake lines are a little tougher, I was allowed to scavange through a bunch of parts at a local 4x shop here in town. Its kind of a "Brake Parts Frankenstien", but it works fine. I need to find some better stainless parts or have them made for me, or make them myself (for all you guys that mine the ore and forge the steel yourself,(Matt). Whenever I have the time,(its gotta break to move to the front of the list). You will be able to find rubber to hard line and visa versa, and make a system that works, but its sort of a mongrel and I dont even know what the different parts came from. If you run into trouble I could take some pictures and show you how I did it, but its not that tough. Now its time to go pick up my Dana 44 for the front(87 GWag).
Jeff
89 wrangler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

That's ok. Mine is already frankensteined in the rear. I ripped the generic stock line off and searched the shelves until I found a longer rubber line that would thread into a universal T that both side lines fit into. If the 8.8"s side lines are the same as the Jeeps then I should be good to go. Just pop the side lines off the 8.8" T and put them into mine. I also have no idea what this line I used goes to. I hope it doesn't break again or I may have trouble finding a replacement.
Thanks,
Aaron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.