Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with the FOrd 8.8 axle... I was offered the 8.8 with positive locking differential, disc brakes, mounts all welded and ready for a Jeep TJ for less than $1000... How does this axle compare to the 44?

Scott

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
8.8 is a popular YJ swap because the mounts are all the same-ish..

IT's a decent axle..

I'd never pay $1000 for one though.. even if it did have a locker and the right gear ratio.. but maybe because I'm a cheap bastard.

I'm looking at like 100-300 for my rear end.. and a case of beer should get me my "locker"

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
yup

8.8 is kinda somewhere between d44 and d60. i've heard some people say is better than a 60 but im not so sure i believe it

D44 has 8.5" ring gear, D60 has a 9.75" ring gear. the 8.8...has an 8.8" ger..duh
:p

the pinion is a LOT thicker on the 8.8 compared to the 44, the 60's pinion is pretty close to the 8.8, dont have exact dimensions.

you might hear some people complain about the c-clip in the 8.8....but the c-clip is realllly thick so i really cant imagine it breaking in a light vehicle like a jeep unless you are turning BIG tires with a BIG motor

G

·
What Ford truck/car does the 8.8 come out of? Is it he 77-78 Bronco?
I will soon be looking to do the swap, after I research it more...but in the meantime I would like to keep my eyes pealed for the proper axels when at the junkyards.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
well you can get a ford 8.8 out of the j-yard for $300, to get the mounts and have them welded on is about $450 (unless you can do it or have friends)so thats $750 now, if the gears and locer are new then thats about $400 so you looking at $1150 so that $1k is not a bad pice for "bolt-in"

d44 vs. ford 8.8 are about the same....

later
john

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
It's a decent axle in my mind in stock from the 8.8, 9", d44, full size jeep amc 20 are all real similar in strength and if you are breaking one you will probably break another and should go bigger. Now they can be built to be stronger but if your putting lots of money into one you might as well get a 60 or 14 bolt unless you are trying to go super light weight or something like that. By the time you get everything ready to bolt in an 8.8 you are looking at about a grand. The "factory locker" is a limited slip and in my mind limited slips suck, get an open diff so you can put in a lunch box locker.

BarrelRoll

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.