Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a thought that i was thinking about a lil bit ago......hopefully some of you guys who've been jeeping for a long time have insight...

How long have people been into jeeps as more than transportation? right now we get huge catalogs for all sorts of jeep parts and things to modify and all that, seems as though its only gotten more popular with time.....

when did the craze really kick off? were there ever big catalogs of jeep stuff saaaayy, in the 1960's or 70's ?

im curious how far back everything goes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Day one, 46 2a came with an optional 3 point hitch lift and pto output, with options for mowers, plows and all kinds of stuff and that would be more than transportation:)

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

do we know at what point it turned into a toy instead of a farm implement? im talking lifts and the such...offroading stuff

·
Registered
524 Posts
Greg, here in Yakima was the very first INCORPORATED JEEP CLUB.
It started in 1947

Club Name: RIDGERUNNERS, INC.
Type of Club: Jeeps only. RIDGERUNNERS, INC. is the world's first incorporated Jeep club, organized in 1947. Membership is open to males over 21 years of age.
Meetings are held: Regular meetings are held the second Wednesday of each month at the club campground @ 2000 HRS.
Contact: Randy Berghoff Phone: 509-452-9986 - E-mail: [email protected]
Contact: Ron Pomeroy - Phone: 509-452-4737 - Email: [email protected]
Club URL: N/A

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
My Dad tells me how he thinks it's funny to listen and watch me do stuff to and with my Jeeps. When he was in his 20's-30's he and his buddies were doing the same/similar stufff.... but the difference being they didn't have cataloges of parts to order. they had to figure out how to build the parts themselves. that was the late 60's

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
when did the craze really kick off? were there ever big catalogs of jeep stuff saaaayy, in the 1960's or 70's ?

[/ QUOTE ]

well waaay back in the early 60's I remember helping my dad and our neighbor tear down and rebuild what I think,(can't remember) was a 47 2A or B. Any how they were always looking for upgrades and traveled all over every where, from Oklahoma to Colorado and beyond to get these parts. They used the Sear catalog when possible but for the most part it was hunt them up.
I do remember 1 thing they had issues with, it seems the farm transfer case had a lower set of gears then the military Jeep used or something like that.

This Jeep stayed in the family's for years, Tom our neighbor, and my dad shared it as a hunting vehicle.
They installed one of those Sears hard tops for winter use in Colorado. Was a nice blue and white color combo and my dad built a real nice trailer to haul it on, he was a trailer builder back then.

Wish I knew where that Jeep got to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.
Dad said that he thinks Tom's brother Luther has it. Oh well!!!
Yeah Jeepin and Jeep parts as well as enthusiasts have been around a long time, well since the boys come back from WWII, they brought the little guys home with them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
179 Posts
A mower? I want to mow my lawn with a JEEP! To heck with the neighbor and his new John Deere:)

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
...Yeah Jeepin and Jeep parts as well as enthusiasts have been around a long time, well since the boys come back from WWII, they brought the little guys home with them...

[/ QUOTE ]

Some had a Jeep waitin' for 'em when they got home... only in pieces and parts. They'd ship a part home every chance they got...

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
A mower? I want to mow my lawn with a JEEP! To heck with the neighbor and his new John Deere:)

[/ QUOTE ]

The mowers used on the jeeps were a driver's side mounted sickle mower. Not too practical for a city yard but good for a field.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Didn't warn start selling hubs around '47? When did lift kits come into play? I know 20-25 years ago maybe more my girl friend's dad did a spring over on a willys pickup.

·
Registered
179 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The mowers used on the jeeps were a driver's side mounted sickle mower. Not too practical for a city yard but good for a field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will, its actually very practical. I could mow the lawn in one pass. 30 seconds and DONE! Wouldnt even break a sweat...'less i did some wheelin' on the way back to the shed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I have seen regular bush hoggs mounted behind a 3b with pto, but it did not have a lift on it, so had to shut it off when they would normaly just lift it up. Uncle mowed his field with it for about 10 years till the frame broke under the drivers seat. Shame I was not into jeeps back then,, The parts alone for that pto are worth a bundle.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I saw that when it went up Laughed my a$$ off at the buy it now. I sold a Whol jeep with those parts on it and was happy to get 1000 and it ran!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts