Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOOTE\'S TOMB

Was driving down the street today and saw a huge sign at the entrance to Foote's Tomb. I went back to read the sign and ,,,,,,,,,,,you guessed it,,,,,"NO TRESSPASSING".... Been going off road there for about 35 years and now they want to shut it down to make a water park..... Cant help but wonder where my son will go to off road when he gets older.

· Registered
6,784 Posts
Re: FOOTE\'S TOMB

Badlands most likely is where your boy will wheel . More and more land is closing every day . I am afriad that alot of the wheeling in the future will be parks/pay to play .

If you want to make a difference go here and either join or donate what you can . These guys fight for us .

http://www.sharetrails.org/

Good luck with finding a new place to wheel . I have a 160 mile drive 1 way to the trailhead myself .

· Registered
1,498 Posts

I heard that from Brent last week...he talked to a C.O., and he said it was coming!
Kinda' makes you wonder how they can justify building a water park out there....when they don't make $75 the whole summer at the city pool in the middle of town!!

At least we still have Combs Rd......for now!

· Registered
291 Posts

well I guess I get to break that bad news to you then smitty... when we were at nicks puttin the bodylift on ranger ricks tracker he was saying that they were getting ready to shut that down as well!!!! help me out here RR if you still jump on here once in awhile??? as far as footes goes we all knew it was coming and yes it sucks!!!! but we all know I gots to sneak back there atleast one more time cause i gotta try the almighty "oak" tree hole
!
Heck wouldn't be me if not now would it?

· Registered
1,235 Posts

Look on the good side. We have 65 acres at the "yard" to play with, and we are working on a deal for another 200 acres within 10 min. drive of the "yard" to have to play with also. Total there is 260 ACRES!!! Trail cutting has already started at the yard and the next cut day, we will have the owner of the 200 over to work that out as well. Things may be looking up for us again. Also with this being our private property, we can leave the BIG trucks out of it. There is also thoughts of having a Camp Zook sometime this year. Invite mabyee 10 outsiders plus our group to come and camp/wheel with us for a weekend.

BOB: they can shut it down...Already did Browning Bridge. Big rock barriers on thet road now. All they need is an unsigned petition. Neighbor closed one out at my moms 2 years ago like that. Anyway you need to buy my parts so that you will be ready to go again.

· Registered
2,637 Posts

Hey guy's, I got a little bit of good news for ya. I called the Hoosier Nat'l Forrest office and they told me that Comb's Road is a County Road, controlled by the Jackson Co. Highway Dept. and as far as they know, there are no plan's to close it. It HAS to be left open as a right of way for land owner's. She did tell me that it's a "drive at your own risk" road. She couldn't tell me much about Browning Bridge road other than it's supposed to be listed the same way. She did say that your not supposed to be parked, or drive more than 5 feet off the side of the road or you could be fined.
I think it's really cool that we have some land owners that are willing to let us use their land to wheel on. Maybe we should print up some wayver's & make everyone sign it, promicing to not sue them if we get hurt or someting. Just to make them feel a little more at ease with us being there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.