Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what people use to flush out their rear differential. I've got a d44 on the shop floor that I'm getting ready to install and want to get it cleaned up.

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Wondering what people use to flush out their rear differential. I've got a d44 on the shop floor that I'm getting ready to install and want to get it cleaned up.

Thanks
Kevin

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know if it's the 'correct' way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif , but when I had a shop replace an axle seal (before I learned to do it myself), he used brake parts cleaner to get all the water-fouled axle lube cleaned out.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
yep, house it out with brake cleaner and let it dry out.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yep !!! just did a dana 25 for my 64 Cj-5 ,,, the rear had set so long the grease had turned to putty ,,, I used 4 cans & a putty knife ,,, Dont know if it had anything to do with it or not but I had to install a seal at the pinion shaft ,,, I think it was dry rotted though ...

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
If you have an open, locker, spool or forcing cone type differental, you can use just about anything.
Just make sure you wash out the pinion and differental bearings and oil them well before you reinstall.
If any costic agents get into the tubes, you will have to clean and oil the wheel bearings also.
Don't forget what brake cleaner does to pinion and wheel seals...

If you have a 'Posi' type differental with a clutch pack, or you don't want to completely dissasemble the differental housing or take a chance on killing seals, use mineral OIL (NOT mineral spirits).
Most solvents will distroy seals and the bonding agent used on the clutch material, so be careful what you use.

Most costics will strip off all oil coatings, so bearings and bearing surfaces will start to rust immedately, ruining the gears, bearings & bearing surfaces

Mineral oil will mix with differental oil, Boils away at normal operating temprature, won't affect the clutch packs or seals, won't leave the bearings & gear surfaces unprotected from the elements, and is VERY reasonably priced.
You will need to buy a sprayer. I use the garden type you pump up, and it works very well.

Either is nasty stuff, but it evaporates before doing serious damage, if you just HAVE to use a spray can...
Either WILL leave surfaces unprotected from the elements.

·
Registered
192 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
If you have an open, locker, spool or forcing cone type differental, you can use just about anything.
Just make sure you wash out the pinion and differental bearings and oil them well before you reinstall.
If any costic agents get into the tubes, you will have to clean and oil the wheel bearings also.
Don't forget what brake cleaner does to pinion and wheel seals...

If you have a 'Posi' type differental with a clutch pack, or you don't want to completely dissasemble the differental housing or take a chance on killing seals, use mineral OIL (NOT mineral spirits).
Most solvents will distroy seals and the bonding agent used on the clutch material, so be careful what you use.

Most costics will strip off all oil coatings, so bearings and bearing surfaces will start to rust immedately, ruining the gears, bearings & bearing surfaces

Mineral oil will mix with differental oil, Boils away at normal operating temprature, won't affect the clutch packs or seals, won't leave the bearings & gear surfaces unprotected from the elements, and is VERY reasonably priced.
You will need to buy a sprayer. I use the garden type you pump up, and it works very well.

Either is nasty stuff, but it evaporates before doing serious damage, if you just HAVE to use a spray can...
Either WILL leave surfaces unprotected from the elements.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodpost.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts