Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's take this to the next level. There has got to be someone who can resolve this problem..."moon guy's”, pros and the knowledgeable come to the head of the class for this one! Sorry, but this one is beyond the Clifford valve cover. Let’s start at the beginning. 85 inline 6 258 CJ 7, New Carter BBD carb, new Clifford valve cover…”fluid” (clear & oily) in the air cleaning housing. In less then 20 miles, I have fluid in the housing! SH!T The upstream tube from the exhaust has water in it, and is not connected to the air cleaning housing because of that. The PCV breather filter is wet, the air cleaner is soaked, and there is standing “fluid” in the housing! ALL opinions, ideas, and suggestions are greatly appreciated as the Jeep right now is pushing me farther to the edge of Jeep no return!!! Please….

CJ More

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, lets do it by the numbers. The Clifford has a known problem with the baffles in it. With out them, oil is sucked up through the breather tube. On your engine there are two hoses from the valve cover, the front one is the PCV and it goes through a PCV solenoid to the base of the carb. The other hose is in the back and it goes to a small filter attached to the side of your air cleaner. This is where your getting the oil. Two possible reasons. Reason #1, and most common on older engines...your getting blowby and it its pushing oil vapor up into the air cleaner. Also, if you've had the head redone by a less than professional machine shop, they most likely knurled the valve guides instead of replacing them. As a result, their good for about 5K miles (I have personal experience with this one). The end result is blow by. You can also get it with worn piston rings. The key here is blow by oil will usually look dirty because its a result of the combustion process.

In your case, the oil is clean....you also have the Clifford.....what I suspect is that the air cleaner is sucking oil through the rear vent hose. DO NOT plug this hose, otherwise you will most likely blow gaskets. I would be willing to bet that if you take the hose off for the PCV valve, you will see lots of oil in it too. FYI, the solenoid is normally open and energizes below about 1200 RPM to close off the PCV. This is to help the idle.

Bottom Line....if the engine is fresh...then it's most likely the Clifford. You can either try to install baffels or put on the new Mopar version.

Let us know what you find.

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John I think you are right on, but I need to figure out why there is also moisture/fluid, in my intake tubes from the exhaust. I think I have a bad check valve, but it's all emissions crap, and that's really just a guess. Is that Mopar Cover a better design then the Clifford?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.