Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does everyone that lives out in the 'burbs(especially around the Austin, TX area) dispose of various fluids(of the Automotive variety)?

When I was turning wrenches as a teenager we would just drain whatever onto the ground and then roll the car back so that we didn't have to work in the puddle that we just created.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
They have an area here at the local dump for oil/anti-freeze/batteries etc.
I just save all my "jugs/gallon containers" and put the offending fluid in them till I get the time to hit the dump.

Look up "recyclers" in your yellow pages.
Might be an outfit available to take stuff to.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Most auto parts shops will now take used motor oil and trans fluid at no charge. You can call service stations in the area also, they will take engine/trans oil and coolant for a small disposal fee. Even dealers' service dept's will help.

When all else fails, there should be a number in your phone book for HAZMAT collection. Save all of your fluids in 5 gallon buckets (or other safe storage container) and schedule a trip to the closest collection spot.

I'm not a full-fledged tree-hugger, but there IS only 1 Earth. Hope everyone here is doing their part to support a clean one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't get me wrong burntPiston - I don't just let stuff drain onto the ground now. "When I was a teenager" the word recycling didn't actually exist in Graniteville, SC ('prolly still doesn't for that matter).

I found the place for Round Rock TX -
http://www.ci.round-rock.tx.us/public-works/recycle.html . Now I can dispose of the stuff that has been accumulating in my garage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I poor coolant around my driveway to help keep weeds down. It soaks immediately into the ground around here, no risk to pets. Not sure if this is PC, but I've heard on more than one occassion that it's ok to flush coolant and brake fluid (altho I wouldn't do it on a septic).

Oil and ATF, I just take it to Checker or Autozone, they take it for free (and make money on it). You might not tell them if you have ATF, some parts monkeys think they can't take it, but they can. ATF if basically just a 5w oil, and they sell all the old stuff to places which burn it for heating in the winter. ATF burns just as good or better than regular motor oil. All this per a former AZ manager who actually knew what he was doing.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
i just drain our fluids into 55 gallon drums, and take it to a dealership once every other month to disposve of it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in Canyon Lake/New Braunfells ,and really appreciate your post! Drop it at Pep Boys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts