Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When people refer to flex, what do they mean. I have a 1.5 lift on my MJ and the 31's off my trailer appear to fit fine. I was told this would be a problem with flex. Only tried the 31's on the front to see how they would do, is there more of a problem in the rear? Thanks Dennis

88 comanche 63 wagoneer

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
There are a few sorts of flex they might be talking about as being a problem. One type of flex is "tire sidewall flex" (commonly known as just plain "sidewall flex"). This is basically exactly as it sounds. How flexible or hard the sidewall is.

Another type of flex is "suspension flex" (also called "articulation"). This is how much up and down movement your suspension has. It's typically measured with one tire up as high on an object (usually a ramp) you can get it while having the other 3 tires on the ground. Now if these tires are bigger than what it originally had, you might have a problem with the tires rubbing on the body or suspension components when the suspension flexes or moves up and down. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never do any serious off-roading. mostley riding through muddy trails and small creeks. Having the 31's wont be a big deal will it?

88 comanche 63 wagoneer

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
One way to find out... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Take it out there and carefully see if they rub on the body. If not then they're ok... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Someone who knows the answer will likely soon jump in and give a difinitive yes or no...

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
A flex test is also known as the ramp test. You drive up a ramp until your back tires spin. The farther up the incline you get, the more flex or ability for articulation you get.

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.