Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHATS THE BETTER WAY OF KEEPING MY CJ'S 360 COOL,IS IT A 17" FLEX FAN OR THE STOCK 17" 7 BLADE WAGONEER THERMCLUTCH FAN?

jsjps

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif You want a flexalite fan? OK...I'll GIVE you one! In fact, I'll give you TWO of them. Our CJ had been denuded of the nice clutch and big fan and a flexojoke fan was installed, and I'll be darned if I didn't buy a pickup today with a small block chevy that had been raped and pillaged as well. So now I need TWO clutches and TWO fans/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Several weeks ago I asked a similar question about fans..I did have a flex fan.I got a lot of responses. I used the response from CJ Dave. Here is what I did...
I ordered a fan shroud last week and installed it, then Saturday I got a new Chevrolet 454 thermo clutch and went to the salvage yard and picked up a 7 blade 20" fan...What a difference that made. My engine runs right at the thermostat temp. granted it is not real hot here yet, but I feel this was the best thing I can do for my jeep..Before you install this fan check your clearance with that big blade..Metal and plastic and speed do not mix!!!!

Ricky...seeya...
1979 CJ-7 401 T18

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to add one more point...If flex fans were better, you can bet that the auto manufactures would have used them....lord knows it would have to be cheaper than the fan and fan clutch combo. In reality, the stock setup offers the best cooling. The only improvement you could make would be to replace it with a dual electric fan setup. However, you need to make sure it has a fan shroud that covers the radiator completly.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got a clutch fan and shroud for free today... It cost me all 2.69 for the stud and bolts... :eek:)
What i need is a way to clear the 20" fan on my radiator? Can i cut the blades down a bit?
The fan looks awesome BUT will be REALLY close to the lower exit of the radiator...
Dustin

JeepChild

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Now here is what you do,.....first, be sure that your moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifhave plenty of beer/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif.....turn on the radio to oldies.....set fan in place and mark ONE blade the exact amount to remove.....remove the material and try to DUPLICATE the original curved leading edge. THEN....take the cut-off and use IT TO MARK the rest so they are EXACTLY the same, and that way you won't be outa balance/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a plan BUT ... Maybe your moon guys can buy mine some beer seeing how i am only 18 :eek:)
And that music would have to be classic rock :eek:)
Thanks
Dustin

JeepChild

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif We usually listen to pre-beatles rock and roll here in the "Jeep Lab".....the same stuff that came out of our car radio when we cruised Modesto in the late fifties. You know George Lucas the Star Wars guy? Well he was a Modesto boy, a year younger than I was. George had a Fiat that he rolled about fifty times and spent the summer of '62 hanging from a traction reading comic books. All those kids he had as characters in the movie "American Grafitti" were kids we used to run with. I could name each one, AND what they drove, AND what the engine had in it. The LAST good year was 1957 if you want my personal opinion. After that the Viet Nam war came, the beatles wrecked rock and roll, then hippies and drugs came, and well,.....you get the picture, a scumbag in the white house and queers in congress. What a mess.

CJDave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.