Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, as some of you know, the bendix in my starter is going out. So I purchased a new bendix at NAPA and want to put it in myself. I have had advice from several people that it is easy to do, very simple, self explanitory, etc etc etc etc. I guess they have never done it on a 88-95 GM IFS full size truck.
I finally crawled under the truck and took a detailed look at it today.
1. There's more wires than either my Chilton's or Hayne's manuals say.
2. The solenoid is up above the main body of the starter, so it is directly below the passenger side manifold, above the IFS crossmember, and very, very hard to get to. My hands won't fit in there!/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif
3. I can unbolt the starter, but I can't get it completely out of it's hole because of all the wires up above. I can't get to the wires because I can't fit my hand(s) up there, or even see what I am doing!

I'm getting very pissed about it. This was supposed to be a $11.50 operation that took me an hour at most. Now I am seriously considering taking it to a shop to have it done. Thing is I really don't have that money to spend, so I would like to do it myself.

Has anyone ever changed the starter on a 88-95 IFS truck?
I'm not certain what the starter differences are between the TBI and Vortech trucks, so I am only curious about the TBI trucks.

Has anyone ever changed the bendix in a GM starter?
How do you do it?

Thanks for any help. My sanity and meager finances are at stake here./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
Re: How do I work on my starter and abindix?

Well if it make you feel any better, if you have to take it to a shop, you can drive my truck around. Just put gas in it an drop it off at my house when you're done.

What is an abindex anyway?

BTW - Once I ate 2 pounds of hamburgers and I got sick, but I didn't puke. Funny huh?

Sorry I can't help, just trying to make you feel better. Maybe you should ask Shawn to sell you a new starter and assemblies for a third of the price? He does that kind of thing.

Good luck!

Home Of The SSFC! - http://rj.coloradok5.com

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How do I work on my starter and \"bendix\"?

Thanks for the laugh man. I'd like to drive your truck. I had a solid axle Chevy once, and want another one.

2lbs of Cheeseburgers sounds good right about now. Can't tell I eat when I am depressed/pissed, huh?/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

A bendix is the doohickey inside your starter that engages the flywheel and gets it turning when you crank the key. It has a little clutch on it that disengages it when the engine catches and starts to turn on it's own. Well, my clutch is sticking, so sometimes when the engine starts going I get this SSSSSSSSHHHHHHH noise for about 2-3 seconds. I don't drive my truck very much, so it isn't a pressing matter, but I would like to fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

Yeah Andrew, the starts are a bit of a pain in the A$$ but its not really that bad. I have changed about 6 starters on 88-95 TBI truck, both 2wd's and 4x4's. It actually isn't that hard once you get the hang of it. What you have to do is loosen the 9/16th's bolts that hold the starter on. You want to loosen them to almost the point where the tread is all the way out but stop there. Then take the heat shield off (2 5/16th bolts I think) Once the heat shield is off its a piece of cake and you can take the long bolts right out and holding the starter with one hand undo the 3 wires or how ever many is it again.

If you think you are having a hard time with your start you should have seen me with that 90 2wd and my messed up right hand(my good hand!!!) last december in the freezing cold in the drive way...it wasn't fun.

Good luck....Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com

G

·

Dude, it is called a 'bendix', not an 'abindix'. At least thats the way it was spelled in all the parts books at the parts store I used to work at. Maybe they call em something different in your part of the country, i dunno, i never heard of an abindix.

G

·

That's a bendix........but I guess you can call it what you like. Take the 2 bolts out of the starter. Wiggle the starter out, then let it hang, semi supported by the front end parts and the wiring. Disconnect wires off one terminal of the solenoid, wrap them together, and set them aside. Do this on the rest of the terminals. There is only 3 terminals, one is for the large diameter battery cable. After the wiring is disconnected, just fish the starter out. It's not heavy. Get it out from under the vehicle, remove the solenoid, take the bolts out of the starter moter holding it together. get that nosepiece off holding the bendix. When mine went out, I just changed the whole starter and solenoid. It really is simple.
Good luck,

92 Suburban, stock for now, but we'll see........

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

RyanB, SoccerDad, thanks for the help. I will go crawl under it and look at it some more.

Abindix is how the guy who first showed me one referred to them about a year and a half ago. I've always just said that and everyone knew what I ment and no one corrected me until now. Including my dad and 85 year old mechanic Grandpa.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

I don't know if you are supposed to or not but I took the 2 starter bolts out and let it hang on the tip of the starter and the wires, then I took off the wires (2 different sized nuts with a total of 3 wires on mine). Once it was out I removed the heat shield and placed it on the new starter. Sorry I can't help with the bendix. What I did was pretty easy to do, the only problems I remember were geting the wires on/off, and holding that 25lb starter in one hand while trying to thread in the bolts. if the heat shield were gone things would have been much easier, however I didn't want to remove it at the time (I was laying in the snow). Good luck with yours, I believe you can do it though, you can do a brake job right?, well it's almost that easy to remove/replace the starter. Once you get it out you'll understand more about what you are trying to do so the instalation should be easy also.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4x4
|\*\..../*/|
|.\*\../*/.|
|..\*\/*/..|
|../*/\*\..|
|./*/..\*\.|
|/*/....\*\|
-----------

·
Registered
5,526 Posts

It's not a great idea to leave the starter hanging by the wires, even partially... /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif It's a huge pain to have to put new ends on wires, etc... in that area... /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

G

·

The newer trucks dont have the little bracket doo-hickey that supports the end of the starter? I never put it back on until I heard the starter lasts longerm with it on. Helps support it I guess.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, it's finally fixed. Got it done today while I was playing Marine.

True to form, I busted one of the threaded rods and one of the bolts that holds the heat shield on./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Nothing new there. Finally manage to wiggle it out of the hole on the bellhousing. Only two wires there, but they are a pain in the @ss to get to. Get it out, and start looking at it. Pop off the end cap so I can put the bendix in. No dice. Stuff is riveted to the starter housing. Doesn't just slide out like everyone has said. So I figure screw it, take it to NAPA, and buy a whole new starter. $57 NAPA remanufactured one with a 3 year warranty. They even gave me my money back for the bendix I bought 3 weeks ago even though I didn't have the receipt. Put it on. Last thing I have to do is tighten the little wire's nut. SNAP. F#$king stud breaks./wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif Drive back to NAPA, and the guy just says, "here, please don't do it again", and gives me another new one to replace it. This time, being extra careful not to break anything, I put it all together.

Starts like a dream./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

I guess I found out why no one has replaced just the abindix in the starter on the IFS trucks./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
duh! /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

glad you got it taken care of.....now you're covered for the next 3 years :)

Shorts <-- its not what you think...and don't ask what it is /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not that good of a mechanic, but I'm learning./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

I figure that if it goes out any time in the next 3 years, some NAPA manager is going to have to make me happy. So this 3 year warranty could very well just stretch into infinity. Has worked that way with my NAPA alternator. Broke three times on me in less than a year of just city and highway driving. Screamed and swore a lot, and each time I got upgraded to the next level of NAPA alternator at no cost./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Gotta love the power of a blaspheming and loudly complaining customer who is critisizing your parts./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.