Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\"Fits All Jeeps\"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif I always enjoy reading the posts of Jeepers who have done project upgrades to their rigs, and it always makes me chuckle just a bit. Most things DO take longer; require more work; and have more problems than originally anticipated. My helper and I often joke about the phrase: "Fits All Jeeps" when referring to an upgrade item; which DOES fit all Jeeps; AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A LATHE, MILLING MACHINE, WELDER, and TORCH. Oh, AND a PRESS....don't forget that. Once in a while I am surprised, but usually it is the other way around.....making special brackets....altering the Mickey Mouse factory design for more strength....well, you get the idea. I HAVE BEEN PLEASANTLY SUPRISED, however.....every now and then. A Chiropractor friend who fixes my 56 year-old skeleton told me one day that he bought an overdrive for his Cummins powered Dodge Diesel pickup, and would I drop over and check it out since he was just a bit overwhelmed. I went over, and in the driveway of his vanilla suburban tract home we slapped an overdrive on his automatic in about two hours. I had to go the the store one time to get some better bolts to satisfy my paranoid engineering-safety-factor instincts, but other than that, it was amazingly easy./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Not all of them are/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Re: \"Fits All Jeeps\"

CJDAVE,

As you know, I just installed that 304 in my CJ. I bought some headers for it and they were supposed to be "bolt in". LOL - NOT! I had to bend them, drill larger holes, shorten the bolts, and much much more.

Its was everything but fun. Now that they are in, I can enjoy them but it was one project I wish I could have missed.

Take care.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

G

·

You nailed it! My last upgrade, a seemingly simple ten minute "bolt-on" air tube from Rusty's was missing the second vacuum fitting. After trips to three hardware stores to find a barbed hose fitting I finally located one (that had to be customized, of course), put it on and...#%&*@!! The vacuum hose didn't reach. It took one dealer and two parts stores to find the extended hose! The simple "bolt-on" took me a total of about five hours! I won't even go into the muffler removing saga of last month. Well, in preparation for mounting my new winch on the Tomken winch plate I bought new drill bits, new grinding wheels, and enough different sized grade 8 bolts to build the Eiffel Tower. I counted on a six hour ordeal. Surprise, surprise...THIS was truly a bolt-on. Everything fit beautifully with no persuading and the total install took less than an hour, with no battle scars on my knuckles to boot!

G

·

Where was yout friend when I was doing my rear end?

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.