Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that I've got a crack in the side of my block this morning. The 258 in my '80 CJ-7 is getting rebuilt.

I am going to rebuild the engine my self (first timer). Can I find a new block or am I only going to be able to find remanufactured blocks? What type of things should I be aware of or do while rebuilding the engine? Also, it is a previously rebuilt engine bored .40 over. Will this be a problem when reusing the pistons?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif </font color=red>CJ-7 Sooner </font color=black>(1980 CJ-7)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 258 Rebuild?

I take it you just need a block to work with. If you are doing a full rebuild with new pistons and everything- I have a 258 that I've been practically trying to give away for a year. I have no use for it but know somebody out there can use it. It is basically complete minus the manifolds. I'll 'sell' it for $25 minus the oil pan if you pick it up. Pittsburgh, PA. Let me know if you are interested via email and I'll tell you anything else you want to know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A remanufactured block is just fine. Back in my drag racing days we called them "seasoned" blocks. They have just been cleaned up, inspected, and machined where needed. You will need new pistons, unless your "new" block is also .040 over. It's a good idea to replace pistons anyway.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
258 Jeep engines are cheap, you should be able to find a rebuildable one for about $100. The early
engines are a little harder to find than the later ones with the plastic valve covers. The plastic covers leak
and caused fires for those people who never look under the hood, they make fine rebuilders though. I've
got one you could have but coming to KC to get it will cost you more than one from a salvage yard.

I haven't heard anybody talk about a seasoned block in years, just means they have been run through
enough heat/cool cycles from running over the years that they are dimensionally stable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.