Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to fire my new 460. having problems tho. It turns and runs with the starter but then stops. I thought maybe the carb was dry, primed a few times same thing tho. My fuel filter is clear and doesnt seem to fill up with fuel, is this because the new carb is drinking and filling the bowls? the fuel is being squirted into the filter in pulses as I turn it but goes dry. Anyway it just wont seem to completely turn over and run.

· Registered
942 Posts
If you think it's a priming problem...start it and keep it running by spraying carb cleaner down the carb. A full can will keep it running for a minute or two...plenty long enough to prime the fuel system.

The trouble with being on top...You always have to look over your shoulder. The best never rest. Fear the FORD thunder!!!

· Registered
942 Posts
spraying carb cleaner will just let it idle. It won't rev up on it's own, so don't worry about blowing it up.

The trouble with being on top...You always have to look over your shoulder. The best never rest. Fear the FORD thunder!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think maybe its out of time now! cause it just kinda pops and fires a little. I thought I put the distributor in right. I rotated till TDC till the comppression left the #1 and the piston was at the top and then I pointed the rotor to just before the #1 wire. Does this sound right does anyone know a different way? I am almost sure it is timing now. All info appreciated !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
timming ten degrees? The rotor is actually before the #1 at TDC, it should be after ? I will try that, what did you mean by 10 degrees ? thanks for the info.

· Registered
6,800 Posts
This is a dumb question but have you made sure your plug wires are in the right order? Since you drive a ford I know you put them on correctly but my brother (certified dumbass chevy owner) changed his plugs and got 4 of them backwards and it didn't run too swell.

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

ArkansasMud.com

Muddybronco

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your saying it runs as long as the starter is engaged it could be that there is no power to the ignition except thru the solenoid while it's engaged.The ignition gets power from the small post on the relay while cranking then reverts back to the switch after the key is released.Jump a wire directly around everything.If it runs the ignition switch is bad not to be confused with the key switch.Sometimes the relay puts no power to the small post while cranking and will cause problems starting too.

1996 F350 SRW 4X4 POWERSTROKE 4"LIFT 4:10 38"GROUND HOGS FULLY CUSTOMIZED
1979 BRONCO 460 C-6 205 3:50'S 33"THORNBIRDS
PROJECT CJ7 ON HOLD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.