Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to find a good valve cover besides the aluminum Clifford and Mopar plastic replacement? This is for an '86 CJ-7 258 4.2ltr six. Will pay what it takes to get a good one. There has to be a better option for this dilema since the problem with the cheap valve cover has been irritating mankind for years indefinite. Thank you

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm looking for one too. Mine is leaking quite badly towards the firewall and I am pretty sure it's warped.

I found a "Chrome Plated Steel Valve Cover" for about $70.00 ($80.00 with 2 day shipping) at the Leon Rosser Web Site under "Clifford". I called and it'll bolt right in, no drilling, no tapping, but I forgot to ask if it's a Clifford or not, but I don't care.

Also, I ordered the generic JC Whitney catalog and it had a small section for Jeeps in there. One of the products they offered was a "chrome plated steel valve cover", no drilling, no tapping for $28.00. I thought it was a typo so I called, yup, $28 plus shipping. The guy on the line couldn't tell me what brand it was though, but who cares right? It's steel, it's chromed..

Both came with gaskets for installation.

Personally, I'm a little scared of a $28 valve cover when all the others are so expensive so I'm going with the $70 one from Rosser just to be safe.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For aluminum covers there is Clifford (which you don't want), 4WD Hardware, and Westside. They all look about the same./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I understand that the AMC Gremlins had a metal/crome valve cover for their 258's. These should be cheaper than the aluminum and you may be able to find a good one at a junk yard./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
Personally, I was fed-up with the plastic always leaking and bought the 4WD Hardware cover. I love it! NO MORE LEAKS!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Atilla, does the valve cover you got from 4WD Hardware cause oil to be sucked into the intake system like the Clifford?

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heard about the Clifford sucking oil after I installed my 4WDH and I've watched for it since. Nothing there./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif It sounds to me like there was a lot of talk over a single incidence. Bad luck strikes everyone at some point./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Even if you do happen to get that problem, it seems that K&N makes an in-line filter that will fix it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Atilla, I finally fixed my Clifford by making a splash shield out of sheet steel that fits snugly inside the cover and shield the baffles from
the oil splashing around inside. You have to drill out the rivets holding the baffles, tap the holes, helicoil them, put the baffle back on,
put the shield over the baffles and install machine screws with "red" loctite. Solved my problem.

Gary

·
Registered
991 Posts
Saw an ad for one that looks like a stamped not cast aluminum valve cover. Westside Performance 12223 W. Pico Blvd. Los Angles, CA. 90064 (310) 820-4718. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
umm.. excuse me!!!!

i had a clifford for years.. and it worked great.. they usually suck oil cause the people dont put them on right.. you have to tap some threads into the head..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 89 YJ 258 has a stock aluminum valve cover from the factory. It doesnt leak, has the correct baffles inside and quiets down most of the rocker clatter nicely. From what I have heard it is the best valve cover available for the 258.
Later......Herbie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
word of warning to anyone reading this,the JC Whitney metal Chrome 258 valve cover only fits 65 thru 1980 models of the 199-232-258
engines.they do sell plastic ones for engines from 80 up for around 60.00 this is not only on Jeeps But AMC cars as well.Myold 80 Eagle
had a metal cover and gasket.I have a 82 partscar that has a plastic one,it has plastic pins sticking down along the passengers side
of the pan that fit into un tapped holes in the head.My driver,a 86 has the same plastic cover,but it instead has holes in the cover sealing edge
and tapped holes in the engine and is bolted down.My experience with plastic covers is "eventually they will start leaking" meaning you need to remove
.reseal and pay attention to the tightening torque specs stamped on the cover.But seems a lot of people just try tightening it up a little
more,and a little more till it has to much pressure on it and it warps,and warps some more.tighten-warp tighten-warp,then ruined
Mine has over 100,000 on it,no gasket just silicone,it has been resealed twice in its life and isnt warped at all.Key is cleaning it to
within a inch of its life ie:carb cleaner/brake cleaner as last final prep. Permatex silicone bead on both cover and head allowed to skin slightly
and left sit overnight with just enough pressure on it to squish about halfway thru the silicone.This makes a solid rubber gasket sealed
to both engine and cover.I even back out the bolts,squirt silicone in the holes and only tighten them with a nut driver.Yes this is a pain
in the install and forget world,and a metal if you can afford it would be better ,but you can keep the plastic one working well if you take your time,and
twice in over 100,000 isnt to bad.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Herbie is right. I have one off an 88 eagle. It doesn't leak , suck oil , it's quiet , and cheap(used) and bolted right on my 85. What more do you want.
I don't know for a fact but I would guess it would fit at least 81-up if not farther. All I know is I'm happy with mine and looks pretty good.(it is a finned on the top alum. piece.)

I knew everything when I was 16......How come I'm so stupid now?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found a good deal on a used 4WDH Alum. cover and couldnt pass it up
Pulled the plactic piece of crap off and filed it under, well you know.

Found that the 84 head was already drilled,. Tapped the head ( 10 min.) and on it went

easyest upgrade since the HEI
End of story. No leaks and a quite valve trrain

Chu
YJ-7
V.P. New England 4x4
Yankee Toys
EC4WDA

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
yes those newer heads have holes.. just need to be threaded.. and no.. the pre81 258's are different then the later ones... the intake side i think is different.. one is straight and the other is rather curvey.. you could say. also most people who have problems with the clifford or other metal covers.. is that since they get a good seal there.. then they blow oil into the carb.. and blame the cover. when its something else.. usually rings.. but it didnt do that with the plastic one.. well that is because it was leaking so badly... i would try a junk yard first.. or find a used one somewhere.. good luck

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.