Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured out how she\'s gonna be

I finally decided on a driveline. Rear ARB, with one piece shafts in the AMC 20, with some trussing/skidplating.
Front open Dana 30...maybe a dana 44 with an ARB when I get some money to do so.
T18 with 6.32 first gear.
4:1 dana 20 (which will hold up great IF NOT ABUSED!!!)
retain stock 2.73:1 axle gears
Upgrade driveshafts/ujoints
69:1 crawl ratio
70mph at 2000 rpms (which the 304 currently has no problems holding, pulling the trailer, with the 1:1 third gear in the T150).

Then all she needs is the finished roll cage, the York, the underhood welder, the Superwinch S9000, and a trailer full of tools, and I'll be done. yeah, right.

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Re: Figured out how she\'s gonna be

is the dana 20 weak> or the 4:1 kit weakens it?

Im planning to run one with a 360 and T18, I cant afford a 4:1

but i cant promise I wont abuse it!

I always thought the dana20 was a pretty strong Tcase?

what am i missing?

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Dean;
What size tires are you planning to run. With those 2.73 gears you will be putting a heck of a strain on your drive shafts,U joints, pinions and yokes. I have a freind of mine with a 94 and 3.07 gears who went that route to keep his RPMs for the frwy and such. When he went to 35" tires he couldnt complete a run without breaking something,usualy (rear pinion yoke). The other thing to consider if you like long trail rides ie: Rubicon, Dusi, If you run the ARB in the front and the rear and you lose your air compressor and back up air(I use a Power tank for back up)you will be open front and rear, this happened to me last year on Rubicon, my 12v compressor burned up and I was not aware that the valve had not been closed after I loaned out the pwer tank, and I had a slow leak at one of the quick connects. I had to really struggle through the trail open, and was able to install a borrowed 12 v late in the day. After that I went to Detroit rear, ARB front. Just something to think about as your designing your ultimate set up.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The only problems that I have heard about with the Tera Low conversions are with the Dana 300 and NP231 transfer cases. Have yet to hear about a problem with the Dana 20, although not many people have them yet. Just an FYI the Tera low for the Dana 20 (and Dana 18) is not 4:1, it is only 3.15:1. That puts your crawl ratio at 54:1. The Dana 20 is probably the strongest t-case put in a Jeep, so I would have absolutely no worries about breaking it with the lower gear conversion. I have one sitting in my garage that has been there for almost a year. Planning on getting it in within the next month.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Sorry, you're right about the 3.15:1...but there's a company who makes the 4:1 gears for the D20. Can't remember the name. I'll find it though. Either way, 54:1 is pretty darn good. Even if I did decide to go to a lower (numerically higher) gear in the diffs, it wouldn't screw with the highway cruising too much with 33" tires, even with 1:1 top gear in the tranny. I've thought a lot about getting a mechanical locker in the diffs...a lot cheaper, simpler, etc. But on the other hand, I have a lockright in my pickup rear end, and even with the long wheel base it has, the locker can push the front end around when it gets slick...not to mention the occasional kerBANG when she unloads. I wouldn't want to try that in the snow with a CJ5 wheelbase, ya know? I think I could keep the ARBs powered, one way or another. It's just the price that bothers me.
I have heard a lot of people complain about the 4:1 gearsets for the NP231, and I would think that doubling the gear ratio in anything doubles the amount of strain on it. Ya know? I could see the potential for serious breakage if the 4:1s were abused. But I don't abuse my jeep, so it doesn't scare me. I'd like to hear how the conversion goes. I have a spare Dana 20 in the garage, waiting for the gears as well...when the funds come in. But the tranny, winch, and tires are in line before that.

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I guess you're looking for opinions since you posted this, so here goes. I'm a big fan of KISS (Keep is simple, stupid) and also using parts available in the junkyards to get stuff done. You're pretty muchs there, but here's what I would recommend:

Rear AMC 20, truss, one-piece, lock-rite, 3.54 gears
Front Dana 30, studded Warn Premium Hubs, full circlip on axle u-joints, lock-rite, 3.54 gears
6.32 T-18 or IH T-19 (see previous posts of mine for details on T-19)
Homemade Twin-stick 2.46 Dana 20 Transfer case.

Reasons:
1) They're right, all of that trans and transfer case gearing will twist driveshafts with 2.73 gears. 3.54 is still a great highway gear, and readily available used for cheap...

2) You can get 2 lock-rites for the price of one ARB. I have the axles I decribed above and have wheeled them SUPER hard with no problems. I love lock-rites, but you may want to go with Detroits. A rear locker is not as bad on the street as everyone says, and ARB's have too many moving parts for me - I'd probably screw something up on the set-up and have a nightmare with them... I think they're an un-necessary level of complication.

3) You hear nothing but bad things about the 4.0:1 kits. Additionally, I think the 54:1 you'll end up with is fine - that's what I have and it works great. The bronco gear swap is straight-forward and cheap. To be honest, Dana 20's are so cheap and plentiful, I'd throw in a stock one for now to get on the trail and switch to a modified one later, but not with a $700 set of gears that will probably break..

Not trying to rip on you - just trying to help you accomplish your goals more simply, more quickly, and for less money. And, as always, my standard closing - assemble what ever you have at your disposal and get out there - then upgrade as you go along. My Jeep now has EVERYTHING (including the welder), but I would not trade those misadventures (when stuff starts breaking left and right) for anything - they make life more exciting! God, I still look back and smile on the first trip I took with the T-18 and lockers installed - I destroyed EVERYTHING in both axles in like 2 hours!

Remember:

1) Get out there.
2) Keep it simple.
3) Stay away from specialty stuff and use readily available, simple, tried and true items.
4) Have Fun!

Chuck Hadley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I totally agree with you Chuck. The only reason that I am using the Tera Low kit is because I got it for less than a six pack (oh oh, can't mention beer). I won't say how but it's brand new in the box still and it wasn't stolen. I was planning on doing the Bronco gear swap until I got this kit. Was in the process actually, but I was having trouble locating the right Bronco t-case in my neck of the woods. I have a T18A from a '79 CJ that I bought for $500 with a fresh rebuild and no modifications necessary to make it work in mine. My axles (4.27's) are from a '72. Mine were 3.73's and it sure was easier to swap the axles than setup a new ring and pinion. The '72 was purchased completely disassembled for $800, took the parts I wanted/needed, and sold the rest for more than $800. My disc brakes are from junkyard 1/2 ton Chevy, 78 Jeep, and assorted other parts. Working on the York air right now and have $30 invested and have everything I need but the pressure switch. My dad had a long stroke York in his garage attic which has been there for over 15 years and was hardly ever used to begin with. I don't have the prettiest rig, but that ugly thing sure performs and pretty much is made from junkyard parts. No manufactured kits (until I put the Tera kit in)! For me, it's more fun to build the stuff from other vehicles and keep it simple than to drive it. I would much rather be fabricating something than be behind the wheel. Of course every time I go wheeling I think of something else to build or modify, so they go hand in hand. I must be understanding that "Jeep Thing"!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.