Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked out fiberglass body panels on the autofab website based on the thread earlier today...

That, the discussion on vehicle weight today, and the fact that we're building a two mile off-road course on a friend's property prompted this question...

Does anyone know or have a good guess of the weight saving of going to fiberglass vs. the steel body panels?

I'm not sure I want to deal with glass (memories of the dust still haunt me) but it's an interesting thought...

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
The panels they make are very nice!
And already opened up and flared, too! I would guess you are going to shave a couple hundred pounds of the truck by going that route. The catch is that its designed around a 92-96 style nose only so if your truck isnt that style, be prepared to do alot more work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah...I guess that's more of a fantasy at this point, especially since my 84 isn't a direct fit. To your point Juice, there's definately weight savings to be had (the tailgate and rear seat are rediculous)...

I'm at the point now where I am deciding what I want the truck to be. For years it was my daily driver...it did see quite a bit of off-road action, but primarily as a way to get me into the mountains for camping. Now, with another vehicle, I have the chance to get a little more radical...only problem is, I'm in the flatlands now.

A friend has 100+ acres, a dump truck and a front-end loader and construction has begun on a track, so naturally my thoughts have turned to how to make the truck perform best under these conditions with the obvious budget constraints.

I replaced most of the front end this spring, I think the next thing I'll do is replace the steering box with one of the AGR units...then I guess give it a bashing and see what breaks first...any bets?

the good news is there's a pole barn for on-site repairs...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts