Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just my 15.5 swampers. Here in Jersey there are a lot of rules with 4x4's. One major one is the tires sticking out past the fenders. My new tires stick out far enough to get me a day in Court (been there once already) and ticket.

I currently have the stock cj flares on the jeep and I have a set of stock TJ flares also. I want to use the stock Tj flares but they dont cover the tires enough. (i'm not going to buy wider flares, I have already got them for my TJ and the cj isn't worth the $300.)

Has anyone modified the tj flares to be wider? I was thinking of making them "flat fender" by cutting the down edge off and adding a few inches with pieces of rubber. (hope this makes sense) I realize this isn't going to make the jeep look any better.. but that isn't a factor.

Any suggestions?

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 V8/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Maybe entending the actual fender would be easier, then mounting the flares to the entension? Sometype of bolt-on plastic spacer setup or a piece of light weight U shaped steel or aluminum, bolt one wall to the fender then the other wall to the flare? Would look pretty nasty but not much worse than rubber hanging off the flares!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
605 Posts
Someone posted a while ago that they used plastic lawn edging to make some 4" extended flares...since your not going for looks that may be a way to go.

'79 CJ-7

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I used the lawn edging on mine, I thought it was 4" but it's 5" (folds under 1-1.5"). The price went up at Wally World as well, it's now $20! What is the wold coming to? I once thought of using old tires (saw this in a JJ book, looked cool with the tread showing) but haven't spent the time to cut down the tires yet. I have a lot of worn out BFG MT's and AT's to use, but no decent Swampers yet. I'll have to work on it this spring.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one option is to sell your tj fender flairs for around 100 dollars and they will sell any day of the week, they are a hot item right now! and then go to jc witney and buy the tj fender flairs that are 6 inches or so wide? they are made from steel horse ( i have heard alot of people not like the steel horse alot) that was a special a while back i do not know if they are still that price!
even if u keep the tjs and speend 20 bucks at walmart for the lawn edge u are now only talking about a 30 dollar diffrence, compared to somthing that looks just ok (my friend has a flair and the lawn edge looks just ok, he also had just the edge when he was running skinnies that look damn good!) for an extra 30 dollars u can still keep a good looking jeep considering they will match with the sweet looking tires u just bought, and if the bodies is all banged uup know one will even notice with those tires and the flairs!
good luck on your desicion
Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will probably install the Tj flares for now and see if I can find someone that wants them. I really don't want to spend the extra money for the wide flares. We'll see.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about going to the local hardware store and buying diamond plate, cutting it to size, and slapping it on? Personally, I'm not sure there is that much need for that much diamond plate... but.... it might look cool... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

Jon - YJ94
http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just thought I would let you know that I found a guy who wanted my TJ stock flares and $50 for a set of 7" Tj Flares!!! 7" flares will work great! Thanks for all of your suggestions!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.