Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I like Kelly Flats near Ft. Collins Colorado. It isn't the hardest trail or the easiest trail in Colorado but it challenging if you go one way or easy if you go another way. Heartattack hill is a great hill climb with lose gravel and the squeeze/chute has great rocks that demands articulation and a locker. The squeeze is so narrow that a guy in our club had to cut his bed down on his unimog so it would fit. The bypass for the sqeeze/chute can be difficult espeicially if you hit the mud pit that requiers 44 inch tires to get out of. All in all it is a senic trail with some difficult sections.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny, some of the names, There is a Heartattack hill and squeeze here in So. Cal. and there both on the same trail. I wonder how many there are with these names, and what other cool names people have come up with for runs. Ken

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
How about "Chutes and Ladders". It's a free fall with the jeep on a trail up in Bethel, Maine. You go for about 30 feet and can still stop, although not easily, then you drop over the edge and free fall for about 40 feet, no joke, we have pictures with no tires on the ground (inches off, not feet), then the last 40 feet is trying to stop before taking a corner at the bottom of the trail. Scared some people so much they tried to have the club ban the trail for running, but it didn't fly. Others just winched down. I talked to one of the people that made the trail, he headed over at about 5 mph in his jeep. When asked if he was scared, he said no, the scary thing was taking the excavator down it to make it the trail. There is absolutely NO going back up it without winching.
We also have the "Midnight Mud Hole". Go ahead, ask how it got it's name...
Then there's the "Whales Back". It looks simple enough, like a whales back (isn't that ironic) but the configuration of the rocks makes for a hard climb, Lots-O-Damage with no brains and a heavy foot.
We also have the "Figure 8", "Bumpus Mine", "Rocking Chair", "Ice Caves", "Irish Neighborhood", "Jeep Break Hill", and quite a few others. The Nature Conservancy took the "Gold Mine" away from us. I'll never forget that trail, it was awesome, first damage to the TJ on that trail...aah, the memories.
Our club has access to all these trails, and most are on private land, so any time we feel like building a new one, we grab the saws and some jeeps. They can get pretty crazy at times.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
i just have the boston mountains and ozark mountains to play in. i've played in the ouchita mountains but i don't like them as well. here's one of the short local trails.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the Old River Road that runs along the Rio Grande in Big Bend National Park in Southwest Texas. It's not real difficult except in a few places but it's 51 miles of some of the most beautiful desert I've ever seen. And don't let the name fool you. It hasn't been a road since the 1940s. Lots of gullies to climb around in and there are places you can leave the trail and explore Mariscal Canyon and the Hot Springs on the Rio Grande. It's rough enough that when you reach pavement at either end the asphalt really looks good to you.

JP
'94 YJ and '85 CJ7 with stuff done to it/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
My favorite trail (well it's technically not a trail, it's more of an area where you can drive freely on), but it's in Michigan and it's called Silver Lake State Park... Not sure how big it is, but it's sand dunes... They have a few big hills you can try to power your way up, and they have a nice area where vehicles aren't permitted either, just foot.... Oh yeah, and a nice beach...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's tough to say where's my favorite, depends on mood and what we want to do. But, for just plain local and convenient fooling
around I doubt there is anywhere better than Chokecherry Canyon. There are established trails, ie: Waterfall, and a zillion obstacles
you can just spend a half hour of spare time fooling around on.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting topic. My favorite so far has been Axle Alley near Florence Junction, AZ. It's a 4.5 plus rated trail(when it was first opened-now it's just a 4 with some challenging places) with a couple of winch-only waterfalls, but they have been climbed successfully without one by some lucky/well setup vehicles. Lots of 4-6ft ledges, tight canyons, big rocks, sidehills, v-notches to straddle and plenty of opportunities for body damage and hard parts breakage. VERY /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif.
Sean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.