Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i first got it it wouldnt come on but if i left it on after a while it would all of a sudden come on for like 3 minutes then it would go back off.now it dosnt come on ever

im guessing its just a loose wire or something any suggestions or ideas?

G

·
I'm no expert, but my Jeep had fan problems. If it doesn't work at all, I would suggest tracking down the relay for it. If it only works on the highest fan speed, it's the resistor in the blower housing. My resistor has blown 3 times and now I've bent the thermal cut-off as far away from the resistor coils as possible so it won't get so hot. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will answer you.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not it wont work on any speed but when i leave it on high and im driving i can smell a tiny trace of melted wires

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i havnt taken it apart to see

i dont wanna take apart my dash etc if i dont have to

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yeah,my ac wont work cuz of a relay behind the dash I cant get to.Keeps blowing fuses for the blower.Good luck!After trying to tear my dash apart thats usually an easy job on any other vehicle,the XJ is a special case
So...still doesnt work.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the encouragement, lmfao

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i can tuff it out its just the defrosting of the window that upsets me

G

·
I had the same problem it turned out to be the fuse, it looked good but for some reason worked speratic

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mine does too, ill replace it to see

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
My fan on mine is tempermental too, sometimes it won't come on so I pop the hood and whack the fan housing with a screwdriver handle and it will kick on. Sounds like you have a similar problem, I would suggest replacing the fan motor(not that tough a job, really). I need to do mine but I am a major cheap skate. I'll wait to change mine when it craps out in -45*f.

G

·
Fan motor and fan $43.18 after tax and installed in car in one hour including trip to parts store and painting tray coolant bottle sits on. O'Reilly Auto Parts
You must cut old connector and attach to new motor, place new fan on new motor same depth as the one you are replacing. It really was easy.
1989 XJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.